Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fabricator1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Direct Lake fallback to Direct Query due to SQL security?

Hi,

I am wondering if Direct Lake mode will keep working if I apply granular SQL access control (GRANT, DENY, REVOKE) on a SQL Analytics Endpoint or Data Warehouse?

I am also wondering if Direct Lake mode will keep working if I apply SQL Row Level Security on a SQL Analytics Endpoint or Data Warehouse?

Thanks! 😀

5 REPLIES 5
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fabricator1 ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.

The access restriction logic is in the database tier, not in any single application tier. The database applies the access restrictions every time data access is attempted, from any application or reporting platform including Power BI. This makes your security system more reliable and robust by reducing the surface area of your security system. Row-level security only applies to queries on a Warehouse or SQL analytics endpoint in Fabric. Power BI queries on a warehouse in Direct Lake mode will fall back to Direct Query mode to abide by row-level security.

For more information, please refer here.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queriues.

Thank you @v-gchenna-msft!

Power BI queries on a warehouse in Direct Lake mode will fall back to Direct Query mode to abide by row-level security.

Does this also apply to the SQL Analytics Endpoint?

How about when using SQL Granular Permissions (not RLS).
Will that also make Direct Lake fallback to DirectQuery?
If yes, will Direct Lake fall back to DirectQuery for all report users on that Warehouse / SQL Analytics Endpoint, or only for those users for whom SQL Granular Permissions have been defined?

Hi @fabricator1 ,

At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Hi @fabricator1 ,

Apologies for the delay in reply from our side. 
Unfortunately we didn't get any update from the internal team regarding the ask.
I kindly request you to raise a support-ticket here. Our team will coordinate with you and help you with the same.

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information. Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Hello @fabricator1 ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you got a chance to create a support ticket. 
Incase if created, please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Thanks,
Gopi Krishna Chenna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors