Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mnnleus

Delta table ADLSG2 vs Fabric (external shortcut)

Hello,

I want to make an external shortcut from Fabric to retrieve data from my ADLSG2 account. To do this I was going to transform my refined table from my wharehouse (the Dedicated SQL Pool) into a delta table from a Synapse lakehouse. But I came across this site which states that the conversion of SQL tables to delta tables is uneven:

https://www.pythian.com/blog/technical-track/understanding-the-differences-between-azure-synapse-ana....

would anyone be able to tell me more about this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mnnleus 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

The unevenness in converting SQL tables directly to Delta tables within Synapse lakehouse seems to be a challenging concern, following are the challenges with Direct Conversion.

Schema Translation: There can be discrepancies between SQL data types and their corresponding Delta table types. For instance, there's no direct equivalent for geography in Delta tables. You might need to convert such types to a compatible format like string or a spatial data type supported by Delta.

Functionality Gaps: Features like stored procedures and triggers in SQL tables aren't directly transferable to Delta tables. While Delta offers capabilities like triggers through Delta Lake Streams, it requires a different implementation approach compared to traditional SQL triggers.

Performance Concerns: For very large or complex tables, directly converting them from SQL to Delta tables can be resource-intensive. This can lead to longer processing times and potentially higher costs.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mnnleus 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

The unevenness in converting SQL tables directly to Delta tables within Synapse lakehouse seems to be a challenging concern, following are the challenges with Direct Conversion.

Schema Translation: There can be discrepancies between SQL data types and their corresponding Delta table types. For instance, there's no direct equivalent for geography in Delta tables. You might need to convert such types to a compatible format like string or a spatial data type supported by Delta.

Functionality Gaps: Features like stored procedures and triggers in SQL tables aren't directly transferable to Delta tables. While Delta offers capabilities like triggers through Delta Lake Streams, it requires a different implementation approach compared to traditional SQL triggers.

Performance Concerns: For very large or complex tables, directly converting them from SQL to Delta tables can be resource-intensive. This can lead to longer processing times and potentially higher costs.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!

Hi @Mnnleus 

Glad that you query got resolved.
Please continue using Fabric Community for further queries.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024  FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors