Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vasilygrz

Why is it not possible to connect Python/R to Power BI through WSL 2?

Hi,

I'm a Power BI beginner user. I've set up a developement environment in an Ubuntu 22.04 instance in WSL 2 and tried to connect both the Python and R bin directories to Power BI and it refuses to open them.

Can you please explain how Power BI interfaces Python and R so a connection through WSL 2 is not possible? I've first reported this issue on the powerbi-docs GitHub repository and was redirected here, on the documentation it's not mentioned that WSL 2 directories can't be used.

If I install the Conda package manager on Windows 11, would I have issues with the paths?

Thank you.

Power BI Desktop.png

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What is your goal? Are you trying to avoid installing the R and Python libraries multiple times on your PC?

Indeed. As I already have set up a development environment in WSL 2, I'd prefer to use it instead of having to install aditional software on my Windows 11 system.

I'd like to know why a connection through WSL 2 is not possible. Is it something that will be implemented in the near future? If not, in the documentation they should state this and explain what installation methods for Python and R are possible.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

Thank you, I've just created a new idea.

For the time being, I'll have to install Python and R on Windows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.