Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jjgray-sl
Frequent Visitor

True read-only mode when embedding with dynamic binding

When embedding a report with dynamic binding using the Embed Token - Generate Token endpoint, there doesn't appeat to be any way to restrict a user from calling the 'Save As' menu option.

It is possible to hide the menu option in the configuration options, however I wouldn't consider browser code secure, and a malicious user could change this configuration and create resources in Power BI service. I want to prevent them from doing this.

Unlike the similar endpoints for reports (Embed Token - Reports GenerateTokenInGroup), there is no field allowing you to specify 'allowSaveAs' on the token. I've tried using the Embed Token - Reports GenerateTokenInGroup endpoint and setting a dataset ID but this results in 403 forbidden errors.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jjgray-sl ,

If you're using the Generate token for multiple reports, datasets, and target workspaces API, use the allowEdit parameter to grant the user viewing and editing permissions.

For more details, please refer to;

Generate an embed token in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jianboli-msft 

We've tried this. Unfortunately setting the 'allowEdit' field to false only prevents the user from using the 'save' functionality on the report. They are still able to 'save as'. This behaviour seems strange to me, but it seems to be what I'm seeing

Best regards,

JJ Gray

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.