Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

plindelauf

Still no way to get/apply bookmarks and filters from/to reports via the REST API?

Hi,

We're using the REST API to give our users access to their reports through another web page. More and more users are requesting more fine grained control through bookmarks and filters. The last post I could find about this, confirming that there is no way to do this via the REST API dates from 2021. It's 3 years later now; is there still no way to do this or am I overlooking something?

If this is indeed still unavailable, where do I go to request this feature (I'm new to this community).

Thanks, Pascal

2 REPLIES 2
plindelauf

Actually, I found that with the PowerBI Javascript library I was able to get and apply bookmarks, as well as apply filters. I use the powerbi.embed function to embed a report into my web page.

Filters can be applied by adding them to the embed configuration, which is passed as a second parameter to this function, like so:

const filters = [
  {
    $schema: "http://powerbi.com/product/schema#advanced",
    target: {
      table: "powers",
      column: "thirdPower"
    },
    conditions: [
      {
        operator: "LessThan",
        value: 700000
      }
    ],
    filterType: 0
  }
];
powerbi.embed(domNode, { pageView: "fitToWidth", filters: filters });

Bookmarks can be retrieved from a report once it's embedded. You get the report object through powerbi.embeds[0], with which you can do the following:

powerbi.embeds[0].bookmarksManager.getBookmarks().then(
  function (bookmarks) { <PROCESS BOOKMARKS> },
  function () { <PROCESS ERROR> },
)

A bookmark contains a name and a displayName attribute. Using the name attribute, you can apply the bookmark when embedding the report again, like so:

powerbi.embed(domNode, {
  pageView: "fitToWidth", 
  bookmark: {
    name: <SELECTED BOOKMARK NAME>
  } 
})

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Consider using PDLs instead (ideally externally managed for user on-boarding and off-boarding)

Anyway,

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.