Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gendalf7771
Frequent Visitor

Selection for table

Hello!

I have a two related columns (string type). It can be represented so:

Col1Col2
Aaa
Aab
Bba
Bbb
Bbc
Cca

I need to create a visual with dropdown menu, which will contains values from both columns, but only second column's values are selectable, like so:

A
aa
ab
B
ba
bb
bc
C
ca

That is, I select unique Col2 value and other visuals get filtered. I've made this menu with such table mapping:

"table": {
  "rows": {
    "select": [{"for": {"in": "col1"}},{"for": {"in": "col2"}}]
  }
}

And now I'm stuck in interaction with other visuals because selections can be apply only for categorical view. Is there a way to use selections in my visual or I need to go to other data mapping? I just want to click one unique value and filter other visuals. Thanks.

P.S.: don't offer me to use visual gallery examples.

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@gendalf7771,

Since the HierarchySlicer provides similar functionality, you could download it and try to view its source code.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sam,

I've tried to use that code. But in Power BI visuals CLI tool there's no objects, used in HierarchySlicer: utility.SelectionManager, ITreeView, IInteractiveBehavior, ISelectionHandler, etc. Apparently that visual was developed by the web tool. And this is another one problem: code for web-tool is different from that is described in Power BI visuals CLI tool. Considering web-tool now is not recommended and not supported, code for it doesn't make sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.