Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

marco6
Frequent Visitor

RLS on a Push API Dataset

I can't find the button to access "Security" (RLS) on a Push API Dataset. Besides, I read that everything has been moved to PBI Desktop. Can anyone give me a clue?

I hope Push API is capable of doing RLS, as if it wasn't, it would be a MAJOR (and IMHO technically unjustified) limitation on this feature.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@marco6 wrote:

Eric_Zhang wrote:

I think you're dealing with the data source in a programing way

You are right! We decided to use ETL computation + REST API because we need data to be as much real-time as possible. Besides, if I'm not mistaking, normal datasets have a 8-times/day update limit (please, correct me if I'm wrong!) - and that is not even nearly acceptable.

We also need to restrict some users to see parts of data. If you can point us to the right direction, that would be really appreciated!

Thank you,

Marco Manino

Is there any listed data source that supports directquery on your side?  Your ETL feeds the data source, use directquery and you don't worry about refresh.

View solution in original post

@marco6 wrote:

Uhm... I don't think my client have any of those... Besides this kind of solution needs major changes in the way things are done. It also needs PowerBI to be able to reach the database machine - meaning that we need to step out of the client's intranet... Am I right?

Is this the only way? If that's the case we will propose to the client.

Thank you for your support,

Marco Manino

That shall be the only way. If all those datasource are not available, another workaround I can think of is to push data via API and create different datasets in different Power BI group. Do the data filter when before pushing data in your code, push indivisual data to indivisual groups and add members to the groups accordingly. But you'll have to create the same report in each group and there's no any API to create report in code, so if the groups number is more than, like 10, it will be hard to maintain them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@marco6 wrote:

I can't find the button to access "Security" (RLS) on a Push API Dataset. Besides, I read that everything has been moved to PBI Desktop. Can anyone give me a clue?

I hope Push API is capable of doing RLS, as if it wasn't, it would be a MAJOR (and IMHO technically unjustified) limitation on this feature.

Thank you!

@marco6

There's no RLS for the dataset created in REST API. You can submit your idea at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Could you clarify what is the exact scenario? As you're using REST API to push data, so I think you're dealing with the data source in a programing way, maybe you could save  the data in some files or database, and connect to the files/db in Power BI Desktop and set RLS to bypass the limitation. And update/refresh the files/db in a certain interval.

@Eric_Zhang wrote:

You are right! We decided to use ETL computation + REST API because we need data to be as much real-time as possible. Besides, if I'm not mistaking, normal datasets have a 8-times/day update limit (please, correct me if I'm wrong!) - and that is not even nearly acceptable.

We also need to restrict some users to see parts of data. If you can point us to the right direction, that would be really appreciated!

Thank you,

Marco Manino

@marco6 wrote:

Eric_Zhang wrote:

Thank you,

Marco Manino

Is there any listed data source that supports directquery on your side?  Your ETL feeds the data source, use directquery and you don't worry about refresh.

Uhm... I don't think my client have any of those... Besides this kind of solution needs major changes in the way things are done. It also needs PowerBI to be able to reach the database machine - meaning that we need to step out of the client's intranet... Am I right?

Marco Manino

@marco6 wrote:

Marco Manino

That shall be the only way. If all those datasource are not available, another workaround I can think of is to push data via API and create different datasets in different Power BI group. Do the data filter when before pushing data in your code, push indivisual data to indivisual groups and add members to the groups accordingly. But you'll have to create the same report in each group and there's no any API to create report in code, so if the groups number is more than, like 10, it will be hard to maintain them.

Our client did not accept the effort needed to implement those changes, however, I'm going to mark this as answered as the soluzion proposed would have made possible to fulfill all the requirements.

Thank you for your support!

Marco

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.