Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jmayer

PowerBI custom visual live data

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the development of a custom visual that relies on automatically updated datasets in Power BI web. 

To a specific dataset data is pushed every second and the visual should display it in the dashboard and update itself when new data arrives. With the new development tools (the integrated development visual) everything works perfect and the way I want it to work. But when I package the visual into a .pbix (with the pbiviz tool) and import it in PowerBI Web, the only data which is shown on the dashboard is the data which has arrieved before the visual got active. The strange thing is that the update method is called everytime and only when new data is pushed to the dataset but the VisualUpdateOptions given to the update method doesn't contain any new data just the old ones.

I would really appreciate if someone has an idea how I can solve this problem!

Thx in advance

Jakob

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jmayer,

I do encounter some issue with custom visual as well. Design a workaround if possible and also reach out to developer on GitHub.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
bjmorse
Regular Visitor

It sounds like you may need to schedule a data update. You may also need to install a PowerBI Gateway.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Hi,

to clarify the situation: Jakob (he is working in the same company as I) is using a real-time dataset. The dataset is created by Power BI REST API and rows are added by the API constantly (every second). 

cheers,

Wolfgang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors