Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Ronnie7
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI REST API error - Need help

In effort to automate the creating of data source on a given Gateway, I have started using the PowerBI REST API commands.
I'm currently trying to create a sample data source on a specific gateway ID using the post command from PowerShell.
I went over the documentation and believe i have all the parameters correct. However, when i try to post i get the the following error:
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...werBIRestMethod:InvokePowerBIRestMethod) [Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod], AggregateException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : One or more errors occurred.,Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod

Here's my code:

$body2='{
"dataSourceType": "Sql",
"connectionDetails": "{\"server\":\"Server\",\"database\":\"TEST_DB\"}",
"datasourceName": "Sample",
"credentialDetails": {
"credentialType": "Basic",
"credentials": "{\"credentialData\":[{\"name\":\"username\", \"value\":\"ABC\"},{\"name\":\"password\", \"value\":\"ABC\"}]}",
"encryptedConnection":"Encrypted",
"encryptionAlgorithm":"RSA-OAEP",
"privacyLevel":"None"
}
}'

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -url "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/gateways/$gatewayID/datasources" -Method post -body $body2 

$GatewayID is defined. the Get method does work and I can see all of the data source on that Gateway, but the POST just fails.

I have tried so many things and get the same error. 
Any help would be apprieciated!

1 REPLY 1
Ronnie7
Helper II
Helper II

Any Help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.