Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SiroPW
Helper I
Helper I

Moving away from DirectQuery to scheduled refreshes (data source is a database)

Hi,

I have fully real-time PowerBI reports in operation using DirectQuery mode and querying direct to my Amazon Redshift database.

This is great, except it can be a bit slow compared with import modes!

I'd love for a mixture of the two options.

Ideally: Users could open a report and manually hit 'refresh', refresh the data (which would then remain static) and browse around the static data as per normal import mode without having to query the DB.

Alternatively: Slow down the whole process and just do scheduled refreshes and users would be able to navigate (fast) on a slight delay.

My questions are:

• Is #1 option possible? How would I set this up?
  • If not, what is the best way to set up #2 and what would the smallest refresh time be?

For reference - I currently create the reports in PowerBI Desktop -> Publish them to PowerBI Service and then distribute them as Apps.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SiroPW,

I think @JordB has answered your questions. One addition: it seems your scenario isn't Power BI Embedded. So users can hit "Refresh Now" if they have Edit permission. 

Moving away from DirectQuery to scheduled refreshes (data source is a database).png

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SiroPW,

I think @JordB has answered your questions. One addition: it seems your scenario isn't Power BI Embedded. So users can hit "Refresh Now" if they have Edit permission. 

Moving away from DirectQuery to scheduled refreshes (data source is a database).png

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JordB
Regular Visitor

I'm sure others will offer more detail but I'll help with what I can.

Mixed datasources was just announced at the Seattle thing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/businessapplicationssummit/video/BAS2018-204

You could use Direct Query for elements of your report while using import for others.

Using Scheduled refresh depends on what licencing you're on, if it's standard then you can only refresh 8 times per day.

If you're Premium thing it's upto 48, so effectively every 30 mins.

Hope that helps a bit

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors