Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to shift Sankey values to the left with padding?

I currently have a sankey that looks like this

jostho99_0-1647097876798.png

My goal is to create some kinda measure or use some kind of tool that will allow me to shift certain levels to the right. I am trying to force the values on the sankey to their specified level according to this table. Is this possible in Power BI?

jostho99_1-1647097983290.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please review the following links and check whether they are what you want.

Creating Custom Sankey Diagrams Using R

yingyinr_1-1647414837671.png

anyone successfully generate sankey chart with R plotly in powerBI desktop and powerBI service?

No, this is a HTML plot, that cannot work. You have to use pbiviz, see here. 

i tried and it works with pbiviz. Sankey created by R plotly can be displayed in powerBI desktop and powerBI service 

yingyinr_0-1647414780685.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is not really a Power BI issue.  You need to modify/transform your data to be more suitable for a Sankey, including better bucketing and Source/Target pairing. As you can see from your screenshot it's not really useful in its current state.

You can unlock item positions in the Sankey visual and move them around as needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the reply. I know it is not an issue with Power Bi, I was just wondering if there was a work around to what I am trying to accomplish. This is mainly so I can ensure that all future data inputs will be placed in the right place for sure. Is there no way to add padding to a sankey visual?

As I said, this is the least of your problems. You will want to work on rebuilding your source data into a format that is compatible with Sankey's concept of Source and Target.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The data right now currently displays the correct values, I am trying to have it shifted more for aesthetic reasons so it is easier for the user to see. For eample if I narrow down the graph to display something from level 1 it will show all flows related to that. Do you have any tips I can use to restructure the data so I can sort of force it to behave how I want it to?

Have at most ten sources and targets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw that this problem is possible in R, do you know how I would go about doing that? I saw that alluvial is a package that is allowed in Power Bi.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please review the following links and check whether they are what you want.

Creating Custom Sankey Diagrams Using R

yingyinr_1-1647414837671.png

anyone successfully generate sankey chart with R plotly in powerBI desktop and powerBI service?

No, this is a HTML plot, that cannot work. You have to use pbiviz, see here. 

i tried and it works with pbiviz. Sankey created by R plotly can be displayed in powerBI desktop and powerBI service 

yingyinr_0-1647414780685.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.