Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Imports - Post Import In Group with Postman

Hi.  I'm thoroughly stumped here...would appreciate any help anyone could provide.

I'm trying to test out using this API in Postman - specifically looking to import the JSON definition of a dataflow into a workspace.  The documentation includes a sample request for doing exactly that.  Here's the request and body from the documentation:

POST https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/cfafbeb1-8037-4d0c-896e-a46fb27ff229/imports?datasetDisplayName=model.json&nameConflict=Abort&skipReport=True

{
  "value": "--f05e5244-f876-43b9-bc87-d71598f6b32a Content-Disposition: form-data name=model.json; filename=model.json Content-Type: application/json [Contents of Model JSON Encoded] --f05e5244-f876-43b9-bc87-d71598f6b32a--"
}

Here's what I'm not understanding

• the documentation doesn't mention anything about "value" for the body (?)
  • what are the strings "f05e5244-f876-43b9-bc87-d71598f6b32a" in the value?  (I'm guessing identifier of the json document if I got the link from OneDrive, maybe?)
  • do I need to put anything in place of "[Contents of Model JSON Encoded]"?

I've been trying this for about six hours and all I've gotten is 400: Bad Request, except once when I thought I might have broken Power BI, but that's another story...  Here's my current iteration of guesswork

littlemojopuppy_1-1685052994053.png

Body has three parts: my most recent actual attempt, and remarked out is straight out of the documentation for comparison and what ChatGPT said to try (I know...that's cheating 😢 ).  What's striked out in black is the URL of the JSON document from OneDrive and in red is the unique identifier of the file.

I feel like I'm either missing something really small or the whole thing is just plain wrong.  Either way, if anyone could provide some help I would certainly appreciate it.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

• To import a file, specify the content type multipart/form-data in the request headers and encode the file as form data in the request body.
what are the strings "f05e5244-f876-43b9-bc87-d71598f6b32a" in the value

Those are arbitrary strings that you use in batch APIs to identify the different pieces of payload and their borders.  This probably means that you can upload multiple JSON files with one call.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

• To import a file, specify the content type multipart/form-data in the request headers and encode the file as form data in the request body.
what are the strings "f05e5244-f876-43b9-bc87-d71598f6b32a" in the value

Those are arbitrary strings that you use in batch APIs to identify the different pieces of payload and their borders.  This probably means that you can upload multiple JSON files with one call.

Hey, I also trying the same. cant figure out the body that needs to go and what all details are from do I get those details. Any help will he great!

Thank you!  🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.