Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tjliushijun
Employee
Employee

How to generate dataset and dashboard in Power BI portal automatically?

Hi, everyone,

I want to automatically generate the dataset and dashboard in Power BI portal. I know that I can create and edit the dataset using REST API. Then what about the dashboard? Or if I can import a pbix document and edit it?

Thanks,

Shijun

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am thinking that you need to look along the lines of creating a content pack...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

I mean that I want my partners can deploy dataset and dashboard in their Power BI portal by programming, and they have the editing access.

Going to have to explain more of the context here. The generally accepted way of doing what you are referring to is to use content packs, either Organizational or third-party. From your description, it seems like you could just create a PBIX file and give it to them and they could publish the PBIX file to their tenant. I am not understanding the need for the programming aspect of this but willing to listen and learn.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Sorry about confusing you .....

I mean that my partner has their own portal to deploy all the iot services. So they want a button in their own portal that pushing it will deploy the dataset and dashboard to Power BI portal. So they have to use rest api in their project to make Power BI connect to their own new database and generate a dashboard......So I'm looking for Power BI's dataset REST API and dashboard API.

@tjliushijun wrote:

Sorry about confusing you .....

I mean that my partner has their own portal to deploy all the iot services. So they want a button in their own portal that pushing it will deploy the dataset and dashboard to Power BI portal. So they have to use rest api in their project to make Power BI connect to their own new database and generate a dashboard......So I'm looking for Power BI's dataset REST API and dashboard API.

@tjliushijun

There's an Import API that can upload a pbix file to Power BI service, check the sample getting-started-for-dotnet-import.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.