Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

db190Coding
Regular Visitor

Export Report in Group Timeout (500), but Forbidden Error (403) when using preferClientRouting=true

Hi together,

I'm trying to built a Python application, which first downloads the .pbix file from power BI Service and later refreshes the dataset, so that I can implment a automated snapshot and refresh process.

For refreshing and downloading I'm using the Power BI Rest API.

Everything works fine for small Reports, but on bigger ones, I get a response code 500 (timeout), when I'm using the Export Report in Group Rest method (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/export-report-in-group)

The documentation says, that as a workaround, you should set the preferClientRouting parameter to true, which I tried to do by adding "?preferClientRouting=true" to the request.

But when I try to run this request, I get a error 403 (Forbidden)

It is exactly the same problem as described in this idea:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Export-Report-in-Group/idi-p/2175529

So my question is, if there is some kind of solution for this from Microsoft in the meanwhile?

Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice weekend.

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @db190Coding ,

Please check the offical blog to get more information about how to troubleshooting when API call returning 403.

For reference: API call returning 403

What is the capacity of the workspace where your report is located, Shared Capacity or Premium Capacity? 

I checked an know issue with similar problem that when using Export to File REST API, API call returns a 500

Its workaround is moving the workspace to Premium Gen2.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You should be getting a 307, not a 403. 

"If your request arrives at the wrong cluster, the Power BI service returns a 307 Temporary Redirect HTTP response. In such cases, you need to redirect your request to the new address specified in the response HTTPS Location header."

Does your request work if you don't ask for the routing?

Hi and thanks a lot for your support. Yes, without the Parameter, the request works, but in case of the Download of this pbix file, which has about 300 MB times out with response Code 500 after some time. For smaller files (I tested with a 90 MB file) it works without any issue.

Hi @db190Coding ,

Please check the offical blog to get more information about how to troubleshooting when API call returning 403.

For reference: API call returning 403

What is the capacity of the workspace where your report is located, Shared Capacity or Premium Capacity? 

I checked an know issue with similar problem that when using Export to File REST API, API call returns a 500

Its workaround is moving the workspace to Premium Gen2.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @db190Coding,

I am facing the same issue as well. Were you able to resolve this issue? 

@v-rzhou-msft My workspace is location in a premium capacity.

I have also raised a ticket for this but we have not been able to resolve this issue yet

Thanks & Regards,

Faria

300 MB is still a reasonably small file.  If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.