Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Helper III
Helper III

Error when loading DirectQuery PBIX file: Datasource has no credentials, unable to Patch the gateway



I wanted to test out PowerBI embedded so I downloaded the sample app that is able to publish a pbix file and to embed it.

So I created the easiest PowerBI file one is able to make with Azure SQL, using the DirectQuery option, as underlying data source.


I succesfully imported the PowerBI file in my workspace collection


I changed the connection string of my PowerBI file succesfully



After that the code to patch the gateway with the username and password credentials fails



Then when I tried to view the embedded report I got this error. 

I believe the connectionstring is in the correct format because it was updated succesfully. I also already tried to point it to another SQL database and then the error shows the other SQL database in the error message.


1) I thought this could be because the Gateway does not get the credentials that I gave it is that correct?

2) And how can I fix this?


Thanks in advance!





At the moment I post, it shall work. It seems a period outage and right now it works. I get the positive reponse from the ones who had the same error in this link.

Hi @Eric_Zhang


Thanks for your response! I tried this but instead of a NotFound exception I received a BadRequest.

However I'm able to update my credentials with:


await client.Datasets.SetAllConnectionsAsync(workspaceCollectionName, workspaceId, datasetId, connectionParameters);


Here is a screenshot of the output


Finally found the issue! When I used PowerBI-CLI the problem became a bit clearer. Apparently I needed to "Allow access to Azure services" in the relevant SQL database. After that I could finally Patch the Gateway and now I can see data in my report.


We definitely need more/the same feedback in the PowerBI API SDK!


This was my error (the IP Address is an Azure IP Address):


[ powerbi ] {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2146232060"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Cannot open server 'engiep-dev-weeu-sql' requested by the login. Client with IP address 'xx.xx.xx.213' is not allowed to access the server.  To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range.  It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2146232060"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingNativeErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"40615"}}]}}}

How do you find the up address of PowerBI Embedded in order to whitelist the up address? Is it guaranteed not to change? I was under the impression that azure to azure calls didn't need it address whitelisting. 

You mean IP address right? The IP address is an Azure IP Address, apparently you can switch on "Allow access to Azure services" on the Azure SQL Database. Then all Azure Services will have access to the database, including the Gateway. This way you don't need to add the Gateway's IP Address to the list of allowed IP addresses

I think I might be hitting a different issue specific to PBI embedded. My server is already set to allow all azure services through the firewall and is still throwing a NotFound error in the PatchGateway call. It was working on Tuesday this week and hasn't since. I see some other threads about similar problems, so I'm asssuming it's an outage for embedded specifically. I'll keep digging. Thanks for the info though. 

I also got the NotFound error yesterday. I tried again today and now it works. Are you able to set your connection string in the following line:



await client.Datasets.SetAllConnectionsAsync(workspaceCollectionName, workspaceId, datasetId, connectionParameters);


What you can also do is to use PowerBI-CLI, just to try if you can make it work. I received better error handling from it, which helped me to solve the issue as you read above.


Helpful resources


Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.


Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.