Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

SS_Analyst

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.

Hello Microsoft Community,

I'm working on setting up a gateway to my Fabric Lakehouse. Using Power BI desktop, I can access the data directly without issues. However, due to the drawbacks of importing data in this manner, such as the absence of a date hierarchy, I've opted to import the data directly into Power BI.

To accomplish this, I follow the same steps as I would for a direct connection to the Lakehouse, but instead of selecting "Connect," I choose "Connect to SQL Endpoint." However, when I do this, I encounter the following error:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I would highly appreciate it if anyone could assist me with this issue. 

Best regards.

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Thanks for the kind reply. I couldn't figure out how this could be relevant. I am not using Dataflow Gen2 in my Fabric data flow. Also my data is already in a lakehouse and I am trying to connect it to Power BI. If it was a firewall issue I should've had the issue when connecting directly using OneLake data hub direct method. The issue only rises when I try to use the SQL Analytics Endpoint of the same Lakehouse. 

Hi @SS_Analyst ,

Base on your description, it seems like it got error when connect to SQL Endpoint. Could you please check and verify the following info?

1. Enable remote connections

vyiruanmsft_0-1718962776504.png

2. Verify SQL Server Network Configuration

TCP/IP Settings in SQL Configuration Manager 

vyiruanmsft_1-1718962998855.png

3. Check SQL Server Browser Service is running

vyiruanmsft_2-1718963154788.png

4. Configure Windows Firewall

How To: Configure Windows Firewall for SQL Server 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello again, 

Thanks for the kind reply! Unfortunately I don't think this can help me either. I am not connecting to SQL data base that I admin, but Microsoft Fabric data lakehouse SQL endpoint. There is absolutely nothing to configure and as I said in my previous comment if I connect directly to the lakehouse there is no problem. The problem rises when I am using the SQL Analytics Endpoint of the lakehouse. 

i still think that the blockage on port 1433 for these endpoints is the cause.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.