Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

use existing PowerBI report as data for new PowerBI report

I have built up a set of reports using Power Query and Power BI and these are working well for us.  I now need another set of reports aimed at a different segment of the staff.  Is there anyway I can base a new PowerBI desktop report on an existing one?   I'd be happy if the existing one was in the same location but happier if I could use any board based location.

Feels to me like there should be a "PowerBI" data source in the data sources selection and yet I am missing it if it is there.  Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I'm not sure if this would solve your problem or not.

Have a look at Parameters and Power B I Templates. If you are just looking to change the data selections, but keep the same visualizations, then this may do the trick for you.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@trevb not possible to use power bi report pbix file as a data source but you can copy existing pbix files and make copy of it and since all the steps applied in query editor gets repeated each time you refresh you will end up with the end result of dataset same as your original report. Hope that make sense. 

Hi ankitpatira,  thanks for that.  That's pretty much what I thought and what I have been doing however the challenge is they soon get out of control.  As the report you are using evolves changes need to happen to the data set and keeping multiple copies of the data in line becomes a bit of a challenge.

It may be that I have to use Excel as my report medium.  It can pull its data from PBI and then report it and I can just work the one set of data.  Great for reports sucks for dashboards though  😞

Hi @trevb,

I agreed with dramus here. Query Parameter should be helpful regarding your scenario.As ankitpatira already suggested, using two PBIX file is not available currently. Assuming those different segment of the staffs are all stored in the same database, then we could create a Query Parameter to filter the segment. Take a look at the following blog and check to see how Query Parameter works:

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

For example, we have a table in SQL server database, and only want the Apple Product to show out, then we could do the following steps:

1. Open Power BI desktop, click on the Edit Queries, then click Manage Parameter.
    111.png
  2. Enter the value that you would like to use, for example under the Open Parameter Window, I would filter the product name using this parameter, so I name this parameter with that column name, then add the values that the column should have, as shown in the image, the value type should be matched.
    222.png
  3. Add it as the row filters under the special column. Click on the dropdown icon under that row, then choose the filter method. 
    333.png
  4. Click on the dropdown icon highlighted under the open Window.
    444.png
  5. Choose the parameter that you have configured, if only one parameter, it will automatically fill in the text box. After that, you will notice that the table only have Apple listed, after that, under Query Editor, click close and apply.
    555.png
  6. In addition to filter Rows based on special column, we could also switch Data Source with Query Parameter. And if you would like to switch Server or change database, that is to say, change the data source, then click on the Data Source settings under Query Editor, then click on the change Source. Create the Parameter that contain the different Server, or Database information, then change the Parameter would be OK to switch the Data Source.
    666.png

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie,

Many thanks I have played with these but they don't really do what I need.  They leave me having to publish multiple versions multiple times and that is too difficult to control.  I think what I'm after probably needs to be obtained via a different route.

The challenge is that different elements of the staff need completely different dashboards and reports but both are based on the same data.  If Parameters let me select which Tabs were seen that may come closer to helping me.  As it is it only seems to deal with data within the database against the same information.   In addition if the data in that database needs to change it has to be changed for every one of these that has been created, when it could be just once IF a powerbi report could be used as a data source for another report something like it can for an Excel document now.

Trev

I may be going out on a limb here, but here is a thought. Let's say in theory, there are 2 groups of users, that want to see data from the same data set, but possibly in a completely different way. The data comes from the data source and using power query you duplicate the fact table(s) in the back-end. (for this example, I am going to assume your pbix file is only 1 tab per group)

You apply row-level security for 1 group to only be allowed to see the data from fact table 1, and group 2 can only see data from fact table 2 (or query 2).

You then build your first report for group 1 on tab 1, using fact table 1. 

You then build your second report for group 1 on tab 2 using fact table 2.

You then pin the live report for group 1 on dashboard 1, and pin the live report for group 2 on dashboard 2, or you can pin both to the same dashboard.

Through RLS, users from group 1 may see the dashboard / report for group 2, but not be able to do anything with it and vice-versa. Just a thought even if it gets your mind thinking in a direction that helps you out. 

Good Luck!!

zolle04
Frequent Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.