Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jdasne
Regular Visitor

unable to load data from sql server domain user

Need your help regarding the issue we encounter regarding the loading of data from SQL server to Power BI. It happens that we tried loading data using a SQL credentials and it works. Unluckily, it fails everytime we use a domain user credentials.

error notification:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=16538; handshake=0; "

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jdasne
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

This issue has been resolved by using server name instead of IP address. The weird thing in this issue was our users can previously connect to SQL server using the ip address but apparently it is not working right now. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

I always use server name as opposed to ip address, and I also received this error message.  What I did to fix for myself was ping /a [server ip address].  this gave me back the same server name, but it ended in our domain [company.com].  adding the domain name to the end of the server name in Advanced Query settings allowed me to get past this error message and susccessfully load data.

I should note that I originally conencted while in the office, and I was on the VPN when making changes and needed to apply this fix.

just thought I would add that comment in case it helps someone else.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi 

Happy to see your problem solved, in my experience, maybe your IP address currently has no access to power bi, the permission may be edited by the administrator of the SQL Server.

Best Regards

Maggie

Jdasne
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

This issue has been resolved by using server name instead of IP address. The weird thing in this issue was our users can previously connect to SQL server using the ip address but apparently it is not working right now. 

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.