Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v-sttaub
Frequent Visitor

unable to connect to excel

Hi, I'm suddenly unable to connect to an excel worksheet within a sharepoint site.  It was working well as of last thursday, but I made a change to the source. I opened up my query editor and clearly all the data is there. 

When I close and apply, this is the error message I'm receiving.

"Failed ot save modifications to the server. Error returned "OLE DB or ODBC error (DataSourceNotFound) excel workbook.  The 

'MIcrosoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.  The 64 bit version of the access database engine 2010 Access Database Engine Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read this type of file.  To Download the client software, visit the following site....."

My lap top hasn't been changed in anyway and my connectivity was working great up until trying to access the excel workbook from site that I currently have permissions to use.

Before changing things, i was hoping to talk to a pro regarding this, and if they've seen it before.

<Thanks, Steven>

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @v-sttaub

Did you receive the error when you connected to excel after deleting all data in the pbix or see the error while you deleted all data in the pbix?

How about installing the 64 bit version of 'MIcrosoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider?

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks for responding. 

This was working without issues until i moved the excel workbook to another site from the original one. 

This error occured whether I changed the datasource within powerbi using the icon, or wen't directly into the first step of the query and added it there.

Regarding the 'MIcrosoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider, this wasn't an issue until i tried to connect to a different datasource.

It works fine while connected to the workbook in site one, but doesn't work when connecting in site 2

I'm going to do everything the link specified in the error message suggests and see what happens.  The error message refers to Access, yet I don't use it in this project.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.