Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohnKing
Frequent Visitor

summarize several dimensions, only look at aggregation on one dimension (time)

JohnKing_0-1635365415566.png

Here is my PBIX:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap90MsT-kD-eg1jlS3wFzk7r0UEA?e=Oh9CDQ

For these data, I'm interested in variation through time, and ONLY TIME… holding everything else constant (ie, grouping on widget, metric, and metric attribute).
If I was doing this in Tableau I would use {Fixed widgetID, metricID, metricAttribute : min(MetricValue)}.

In PowerBI It looks like I want to use summarize(), or maybe I want to create a table that has summarized values (which sounds really usefult to me for doing this and extending it). The fields could be: min, max, range, etc. summarized on the dimensions mentioned above.

I don't want to have to include other dimensions in my vizes or filter by dimensions in order to restrict the measure to variation over time e.g., if I'm plotting the min value among widgets… I don't want the MIN to be calculated among all records, it should get aggregated just like any raw measure... it should default to an aggregation, or i should have to select an aggregation e.g., an AVERAGE min-through-time among the records. So... NOT what is presented in Number 1 in the picture:

JohnKing_1-1635366326726.png

I need to have calculations and vizes that can answer/do the following:
What is the widget/metric combo that has the greatest range-over-time, the greatest max over time and the lowest min through time? List widgets/metric combinations ranked by range (number 2 in the picture)
Create a histogram of ranges for the above.

What metric has the greatest range value (through time) among widgets.

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'm having difficulty following how your model is structured. It doesn't make sense to me why you have intermediate tables like Sources-Values instead of simply creating a one-to-many relationship from Sources[SourceID] to Values[SourceID].

Things get much easier when you have a standard star schema.

https://radacad.com/power-bi-basics-of-modeling-star-schema-and-how-to-build-it

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

Thanks. There's a many to many relationship that needed resolving. For this post, I simplified the objects a bit. I'm hoping someone can guide me on the question ?  Thanks!

Hi, @JohnKing 

Rank and range are two different things, I don’t know what kind of result I want.

Do you want to finally display the ranking after range?

Like this:

vjaneygmsft_0-1635761616734.png

If you still need help, Please add more details.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.