Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

show "rest data" older then 3 months dynamically in matrix

Hi Guys,

I've been tinkering with Power BI for a little while now, and finally gotten my first assignment at work.

Unfortunately i can't wrap my head around a solution to the request i've gotten.

Success criteria:

1. Show the hour rate, based on hours worked/starting fee -it works, but open to suggestions.
  2. Have a visual with quick overview of hours used in the last 3 months on different projects. -Properly needs a different ( and better) solution then filters
  3. only show Hourly_fee in the totals and NOT under every month. -i've disabled word wraping a hidden the column for now

main issue:

if a project have been running for more then 3 months, i need to show the hours used before the start of the 3 month-period.

this is currently not possible, because i'm using a filter to show the last 3 months in my matrix.

This is a minimized replica of the data i'm working with

bsf_ecit_0-1622573989845.png

Example file here 

I hope one of you can give me a hint or two.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The data you provided is a bit complicated and not easy to create. I created a sample, you can refer to this method.

Original data :

Ailsa-msft_0-1623231419929.png

(1)First get the maximum date and minimum date of the project .

(2)Use MONTH dax to return the number for date and compare the diff between max date and min date .IF the diff >3 ,then sum the hours before 3 months ago , or return 0 .

worked +3 months ago =

var max_date=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]))

var min_date=CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]))

var sum_hours = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]),'Table'[Date]<EOMONTH( CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project])),-3)+1))

return

IF(MONTH(max_date)-MONTH(min_date)>3,sum_hours,0)

The effect is as shown:

Ailsa-msft_1-1623231419932.png

You can use Matrix visual to display the result . Note :measure can only put in Values ,and then it will display in each column ,you can hide them just keep the total one .

Ailsa-msft_2-1623231419934.png

I have attached my pbix file ,you can refer to it .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Has your problem been solved ? If it has been solved, provide your method for the problem then consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The data you provided is a bit complicated and not easy to create. I created a sample, you can refer to this method.

Original data :

Ailsa-msft_0-1623231419929.png

(1)First get the maximum date and minimum date of the project .

(2)Use MONTH dax to return the number for date and compare the diff between max date and min date .IF the diff >3 ,then sum the hours before 3 months ago , or return 0 .

worked +3 months ago =

var max_date=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]))

var min_date=CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]))

var sum_hours = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project]),'Table'[Date]<EOMONTH( CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Project])),-3)+1))

return

IF(MONTH(max_date)-MONTH(min_date)>3,sum_hours,0)

The effect is as shown:

Ailsa-msft_1-1623231419932.png

You can use Matrix visual to display the result . Note :measure can only put in Values ,and then it will display in each column ,you can hide them just keep the total one .

Ailsa-msft_2-1623231419934.png

I have attached my pbix file ,you can refer to it .

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

I managed to get it to work with the help of your DAX.

I had to change the values to the appropiate data, but it seems to be working now.

Thank you for your help!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

(1) Only show Hourly_fee in the totals and NOT under every month ,you can turn off Word wrap in both Values and Column headers .

Ailsa-msft_0-1622785946305.png

(2)You said that if the project has been running for more than 3 months , you need to show the hours used before the start of the 3 month-period . In your sample , what is your start date ?

For example , the project “extend service” has a min date  2021/02/02 , so you need sum the hours before 2021/02/02 ?

You can create a measure like:

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(task[hours_worked]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(project,project[project_name]),SELECTEDVALUE(task[date_worked])<MIN(task[date_worked])))

Best Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-yetao1-msft,

(1) i'm already doing this, and since you also suggested it, i'm gonna continue using this -Thank you

(2) You said that if the project has been running for more than 3 months , you need to show the hours used before the start of the 3 month-period . In your sample , what is your start date ?

Unfortunately i totally forgot to add the start date, but it would be project[start_date]

For example , the project “extend service” has a min date  2021/02/02 , so you need sum the hours before 2021/02/02 ?

I'm sorry for not writing my wishes correctly.

A project can run for lets say 4 months.

my matrix (should) only shows the last 3 named months.

i'm hoping that it would be possible to:

have a column before the months with all hours worked before the shown 3 months.

Something similar to the picture below

bsf_ecit_0-1622788227446.png

i hope that makes sense and thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.