cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric is Generally Available. Browse Fabric Presentations. Work towards your Fabric certification with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

sperry
Resolver I
Resolver I

should I use a dax filter or visual filter

I have a real simple question - I have a model that focusses on outcomes by ethnicity. I have in the past created measures that filter by ethnicity (only have 3 options, total, Indian descent and non- Indian descent) should I do this in DAX or apply filters to the measures?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sperry -

In my opinion, hard-coding should be avoided whenever possible. The beauty of PowerBI is that as long as you don't hard code measures (or visual/page/report filters), it automatically scales if you find yourself with more choices than you originally had. I would use ethnicity as a dimension and put it in "Legend" wherever possible on a visual, or as a column for table/matrix.  Then your measures will automatically have the filter applied.

If this doesn't work for you, please provide a pbix or sample data/model structure so we can see your individual case.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sperry , A Slicer, or visual/page filter is better as it filters out the data. It filters for all measures (unless they ignore slicer value) .

In case of measure, if you two-measure those need filters. Both measures need to have this filter. So better to have a slicer/filter in such a case.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sperry , A Slicer, or visual/page filter is better as it filters out the data. It filters for all measures (unless they ignore slicer value) .

In case of measure, if you two-measure those need filters. Both measures need to have this filter. So better to have a slicer/filter in such a case.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sperry -

In my opinion, hard-coding should be avoided whenever possible. The beauty of PowerBI is that as long as you don't hard code measures (or visual/page/report filters), it automatically scales if you find yourself with more choices than you originally had. I would use ethnicity as a dimension and put it in "Legend" wherever possible on a visual, or as a column for table/matrix.  Then your measures will automatically have the filter applied.

If this doesn't work for you, please provide a pbix or sample data/model structure so we can see your individual case.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI November 2023 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - November 2023

Check out the November 2023 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Community News

Fabric Community News unified experience

Read the latest Fabric Community announcements, including updates on Power BI, Synapse, Data Factory and Data Activator.

Power BI Fabric Summit Carousel

The largest Power BI and Fabric virtual conference

130+ sessions, 130+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI and Fabric. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors