Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

uthall
Helper II
Helper II

"Is in this day" filter

Hi,

Just wondering how the report determines what the current day is when using the visual filter (Relative date filtering) "Is in this day"

Does it use the sysrem time of the report server (if using a report server and viewing via a browser), the local time of the computer running the report (if running local), or the power bi service system time (if using web)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @uthall ,

The Power bi desktop using UTC+0  to determine the current day, you’ll need to add a measure to show NOW time and filter your data, and only the records that the date equal to Date(NOW), then filter applied. Steps shown as below:

Please note that once you published your report to service, the measure is different, displaying the UTC+0 time.

1. I’ve created a calendar table with the dates from 6/1 to 6/30 this year , and add a measure NOW show the current UTC+8 time.

1.PNG

2. Another measure added to filter the date which equals to Now day, if equals, then return 1, or 0.

Measure = var NY = YEAR([N])
var NM = MONTH([N])
var DN = DAY([N])
var time = MAX([Date])
Return
IF(YEAR(time)=NY&&MONTH(time)=NM&&DAY(time)=DN,1,0)

2.png

3.Then filter the result is 1 and apply filter.

3.PNG

Regards,

Dina

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @uthall ,

The date slicer and filter are always based on the time in UTC, it is the power bi service system time in web. so if you configure a filter in a report and send it to a colleague in a different time zone, you'll both see the same data. However, if you aren't in the UTC time zone, you might see data for a different time offset than you expect.

Furthermore, you could convert the UTC time to local time using query editor:

Assuming that you already have the UTC time and time lag column:

1. Change the UTC time with accurate time zone (UTC+0 in this example)
ZoneTime = DateTime.AddZone([Date],0)

a.png

2. Switch the time zone by calculating the time lag:

LocalTime = DateTimeZone.SwitchZone([ZoneTime],[UTC Duration])

b.png

3. Then change the date type to Date/Time/TimeZone

Regards,

Dina

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks Dina,

I already have "Local Time" in my table, so its not the data, its what the filter is using as the reference day.

What i find, is that when i run the report from my desktop (UTC +8), its not untill 8am in the morning that i start to see todays data in the report using the "Is in this day" filter.

The report shows yesterdays data before 8am.

So, is the PowerBI desktop client using UTC+0 to determine the current day, and if so, how do i get it to use the "current" day in my timezone....for me UTC+8 

Hi @uthall ,

The Power bi desktop using UTC+0  to determine the current day, you’ll need to add a measure to show NOW time and filter your data, and only the records that the date equal to Date(NOW), then filter applied. Steps shown as below:

Please note that once you published your report to service, the measure is different, displaying the UTC+0 time.

1. I’ve created a calendar table with the dates from 6/1 to 6/30 this year , and add a measure NOW show the current UTC+8 time.

1.PNG

2. Another measure added to filter the date which equals to Now day, if equals, then return 1, or 0.

Measure = var NY = YEAR([N])
var NM = MONTH([N])
var DN = DAY([N])
var time = MAX([Date])
Return
IF(YEAR(time)=NY&&MONTH(time)=NM&&DAY(time)=DN,1,0)

2.png

3.Then filter the result is 1 and apply filter.

3.PNG

Regards,

Dina

quickly.

I did this and it looks correct if I make a visual to show my calendar table the only day with the measure=1 is today's date, but I can't move that measure into the filter pane in Power BI. What gives?

CmdrKeene_0-1698765416221.png

CmdrKeene

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.