Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MatthewMcD
Regular Visitor

"Datasource has no credentials" with Azure SQL Datasource

I am struggling to get up and running with PowerBI. I have successfully created a datasource in PowerBI Desktop and published a report and Dashboard. The problem is even though I can refresh the data in the desktop, the report never updates in the browser. When I try to force a datasource refresh in the browser I get "Datasource has no credentials".

When I set up the SQL Database I created a firewall rule for my IP address and enabled the rule for Azure. Is there anyway that I can get a better error message so I can determine if it's the firewall or the credentials?

This is a bummer of a learning curve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

When you publish a .PBIX from Power BI Desktop to the Power BI Web service, all credentials get scrubbed out.  You need to re-enter the credentials for your data source in the Power BI Web service.

On PowerBI.com, click the three dots next to the data source, select "Schedule Refresh", open up the menu for Data source credentials, and re-enter the username/password for the Azure SQL database.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

When you publish a .PBIX from Power BI Desktop to the Power BI Web service, all credentials get scrubbed out.  You need to re-enter the credentials for your data source in the Power BI Web service.

On PowerBI.com, click the three dots next to the data source, select "Schedule Refresh", open up the menu for Data source credentials, and re-enter the username/password for the Azure SQL database.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

THANKS!

Ok, here's a newbie note to the product team...TELL US you did this! For example, here is how I would update the Success dialog for the Publish Process. Oh, and put somewhere more obvious...I looked at "Schedule" and said, nope I don't want to schedule it. I want to enter credentials. Maybe a dialog like this...

PBIEdit.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.