Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeanxyz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

new fields added later not appearing in composite data model

I have created a master Power BI data model, to share part of the data model with another PB developer, I have created a composite data model below the master data model. A new field is added to one table in the master data model, I would expect the new field to appear in the composite data model as well since this table was selected when I created the composite model. However, for some reason, the new field doesn't appear in the composite model. Is there any way to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jeanxyz ,

You can try the following steps:
1. Refresh the Data Model: Start by refreshing your master data model in Power BI Desktop where you've added the new field.
2. Update the Composite Model: Open your composite data model in Power BI Desktop and manually refresh the data source that links to your master data model.
3. Check for Model Synchronization: Ensure that the composite model is properly synchronized with the master model. If the new field still doesn't appear, you might need to re-establish the connection to the master model to ensure that all fields, including the new ones, are correctly imported.
4. Review Deployment Pipeline: If you're using deployment pipelines, make sure to upload your updated .pbix file to the first stage (usually the development stage) and deploy your content through the pipeline stages. This helps in applying the changes, including the new fields, across different stages of your deployment pipeline.
The Microsoft Fabric deployment pipelines process - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If after following these steps, the new field still doesn't appear in your composite model, it might be helpful to check the following:
1. Ensure that any relationships involving the table with the new field are correctly configured in both the master and composite models.
2. Confirm that there are no issues with data in your composite model that might be preventing the new field from appearing, for example, RLS or filters in Power Query.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. Here is my fix:

1. download the composite data model, deleted the data source and reconnect it to the same master data model. The new field appears this time. 

2. I then publish the composite data model to replace the previous one. All the previous permission are maintained in this way. 

However, this is not an ideal solution if the master data model strucutre changes frequently.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Check your Power Query code for any Table.SelectColumns steps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.