Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MNGoodyear
Frequent Visitor

filtering using calculated fields

I have sales order data by account/year/commodity/rep /order reference etc... 

I want to create an interactive enquiry where the user can ask quesitons of the data. For example

Using the below basic table, show me all accounts where sales of category B are 0/Null in 2018 but sales of category A are > 0 in 2018, in this example i would expect to return account 1 and account 2

AccountCategoryYearQty
1A2017100
1B201750
1A2018150
2A201875
3A201810
3B201850

I have created measures to summarise the qty by category  for each year using filter parematers such as :

Sales Cat A 18 = CALCULATE(sum('Report 1'[Qty]),FILTER('Report 1',[Category] = "A"),FILTER('Report 1','Report 1'[Year]=2018))

But i cannot work out how to apply the filtering 

Help

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MNGoodyear

If I understand correctly you want a sort of dynamic measure, with dynamic code, that calculates different things depending on what is selected on slicers.

I would suggest using harvester measures. You create a separate, unconnected  table for each of the variables you want to play with, like Category, Year, and if you need it, Type of comparison (>0, =0)

With the harvester measure you capture what's been selected and 

[Sales1]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]=[Harvested Category1]; Report1[Year]=[Harvested Year1])

[Sales2]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]=[Harvested Category2]; Report1[Year]=[Harvested Year2])

Table= FILTER(ALL(Report1[Account]), [Sales1] > 0 && [Sales2] =0)

You could follow a similar approach to select the comparison ">0", "=0", etc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @MNGoodyear

How about creating a table

Table= FILTER(ALL(Report1[Account]), [Sales A] > 0 && [Sales B] =0)

with

[Sales A]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]="A"))

[Sales B]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]="B"))

You can set the year on a slicer

hi the objective is to categorise a number of scenarios, for example adding sliders for :

Category A 2017

Category B 2017

Category A 2018

Category B 2018

so the user can interactively apply different types of filters to the data which i dont think the solution will allow

@MNGoodyear

If I understand correctly you want a sort of dynamic measure, with dynamic code, that calculates different things depending on what is selected on slicers.

I would suggest using harvester measures. You create a separate, unconnected  table for each of the variables you want to play with, like Category, Year, and if you need it, Type of comparison (>0, =0)

With the harvester measure you capture what's been selected and 

[Sales1]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]=[Harvested Category1]; Report1[Year]=[Harvested Year1])

[Sales2]=CALCULATE(SUM(Report1[Qty]), Report1[Category]=[Harvested Category2]; Report1[Year]=[Harvested Year2])

Table= FILTER(ALL(Report1[Account]), [Sales1] > 0 && [Sales2] =0)

You could follow a similar approach to select the comparison ">0", "=0", etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.