Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

export data via CSV with other delimiter e.g. semicolon or XLSX

Hi,

I have a .pbix file and load it into PowerBI desktop. I would like to the export data. The generated CSV file contains the delimiter comma.

1) How can I change in PowerBI desktop the delimiter for CSV file to semicolon?

2) How can I export the file as Excel XLSX? Is there a premium license required for PowerBI desktop? How can I gain this?

best regards,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you very much for all replies. Voted for both feature requests as they are very important.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
fox_NL
Helper I
Helper I

It is a long time later, but I have the same issue. Using amounts written with a ,  (110,12) And the CSV import to Excel sees this as a column separation.

I found a workaround and thought I could share it here:
Open the report online (app.powerbi.com).

Click on the ... top right corner of the visualisation you want to have in Excel.

Click on export data

Now you get a new screen that you don't get on the desktop power BI:

fox_NL_0-1695731556632.png

And this gives you the .xlsx you need!

Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The easiest way to change the data is to open the .csv file with notepad, notepad++, or any text editor of your choice, and then find-replace all , with ;

As far as exporting it as a .xlsx file, you can follow the instructions here, no special license needed: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I cannot replace the CSV file as some columns includes description texts (sentences) with the character ",".  It would be better if the delimiter is a character which is rarely used in the content.

I do not have any export menu dialogues for Excel. Just see that a CSV file is generated.

hi, @Anonymous  @Cmcmahan 

As Cmcmahan said, using a regional delimiter instead of always using comma is a requested feature. You can vote for it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15972523-export-to-csv-regional-s...

And in power bi desktop, you could only export data to CSV for now, it is not possible export data to xlsx.

You can vote for it here too:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13215546-ability-to-export-data-from-pbi-desktop-to-excel

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you very much for all replies. Voted for both feature requests as they are very important.

Looks like using a regional delimiter instead of always using comma is a requested feature. You can vote for it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15972523-export-to-csv-regional-s...  In the meantime, you may be able to edit your data in PBI to replace commas with another character before export as a workaround

You need a Pro license to export any data, so I'm assuming you already have that for the Excel format requirement. You can find the method to check your current license here

You can also check the limitations on exporting data here to see if any of those conditions apply and are preventing your .xlsx export.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.