Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

data refresh for DirectQuery

There is a table on the report which is driven from a direct query call to sql server.
Question:
Every time I click on one of the columns to sort the data, is the data being pulled back from sql server or is it cached in power BI model?
I ask because every time on sorting, it takes a long time for the table to refresh...

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

When you are sorting the data,it first sends a query to sql server,then gets the data you need back to power bi.In directquery mode,only the table name and column headers are caching in power bi.That is why you cant see data view in direct query.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

When you are sorting the data,it first sends a query to sql server,then gets the data you need back to power bi.In directquery mode,only the table name and column headers are caching in power bi.That is why you cant see data view in direct query.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , It queries only when new data is required.

There is some cache option in premium: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-query-caching-in-power-bi-premium/

You can check queries on the profile. Check option in article

https://radacad.com/directquery-connection-in-power-bi-how-does-it-work-limitations-and-advantages

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.