Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

column names and data separate - append data to columns?

not sure if im overcomplicating this but i have a huge amount of data  in compressed files in azure datalake, where i cannot make changes to the data, the columns name for this data i have separately, any ideas on how can i bring these two together without having to manually type in the column names, i have about 6 tables.  

I have tried to do it in power query by cleaning it up the columns names and then transposing it into columns names, however i am unable to append the data without column names to the cleaned up result because it expects the column names to be the same for the append.  I might be overthinking this and missing the obvious

[DateID] int NOT NULL,
[MedallionID] int NOT NULL,
[HackneyLicenseID] int NOT NULL,
[PickupTimeID] int NOT NULL,
[DropoffTimeID] int NOT NULL,
[PickupGeographyID] int NULL,
[DropoffGeographyID] int NULL,
[PickupLatitude] float NULL,
[PickupLongitude] float NULL,
[PickupLatLong] varchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
[DropoffLatitude] float NULL,
[DropoffLongitude] float NULL,
[DropoffLatLong] varchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
[PassengerCount] int NULL,
[TripDurationSeconds] int NULL,
[TripDistanceMiles] float NULL,
[PaymentType] varchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
[FareAmount] money NULL,
[SurchargeAmount] money NULL,
[TaxAmount] money NULL,
[TipAmount] money NULL,
[TollsAmount] money NULL,
[TotalAmount] money NULL
)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 REPLIES 2
101Mathew
Resolver II
Resolver II

In Power query can you not demote the columns titles to enable you to clean up the names, then pivot and re-name them if required?

@101Mathew still left with the issue of the columns names not match so if you want to merge / append the data you need matching columns

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.