Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bvdm1980
Helper I
Helper I

calendar month names

Hi, i am working in a Dutch company where this is also the language used in reports. So i need reports to be in Dutch language. 

All my regional settings are in Dutch. The Power bi menus are in Dutch. But still, if i use

*format (month (kalender[date]) , "mmmm")* 

in my calendar table, it returns English months instead of Dutch....how to change this? 

Oh and it also only gives back DEcember for first month from "date" field, and January for month 2 till 12....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Greg_Deckler 

never mind Greg, i solved it now with the SWITCH function to get my Dutch month names. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@bvdm1980 That seems like a bug as the FORMAT function supports other languages. FORMAT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

That said, if the report is going to be displayed in the Service, then the easiest "fix" is to just use the native translation of the browser.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg 

First, thanks for your reply! much appreciated.

Allthough it didn't solve it. Here is example of what it now looks like. I have a DATE column, of which i can't change the name to Dutch DATUM , so i created a DATUM column as well based on DATE.

Then the month number, and then i want the long month name (januari / februari etc, being dutch names)

So you can see the DAX i used to create the long month name. As said its the English name, where al settings are in Dutch. And its the wrong name too, as December is put to month 1, while January is put on the other months. 

I used this DAX before but never experienced this tbh. So i have no clue where to look for the solution.

Well i can create a new table with month numbers and month names in dutch , and then somehow link this to calender. But that should not be the way to go imo. 

bvdm1980_0-1667393004490.png

@Greg_Deckler 

never mind Greg, i solved it now with the SWITCH function to get my Dutch month names. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.