Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rampeur
Frequent Visitor

calculating values from multiple columns

Hi Guys,

I have a dataset with a list of football games.

Games List:

Home TeamAway Team
Sweden

France

France

USA

Canada

France

Sweden

Canada

I have few questions about it.

• I have calculated the numbers of games played by each countries with this way:
    I have Created a new table (Lis of countries) in order to have the full list of countries (Distinct & Union). Then I have created a new column.

Games Played = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Games List'),FILTER('Games List','Games List'[home_team]=EARLIER('List of Countries'[Countries]))) +
    CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Games List'),FILTER('Games List','Games List'[away_team]=EARLIER('List of Countries'[Countries])))

Was it the right way to do it?

• ThenI have created a new columns:
    Match = Home Team &"-"&  Away Team

From this column I would like to calculate few things:

• I have calculated how many time a games happened. (i.e: Sweden - France: 3 times. France - Sweden: 6 times)
  • Then, I also would like to calculate how many time sweden played again France (either home or away)
    I would like to make appears in vizualisation like France - Sweden: 9 but Also: If you filter on Swden there is a Graph with the number of times they played a again each team

France: 9
    Brazil 6
    Norway 5
    and so on.

Thank you in advance for those who will have a look. Thank you so much 🙂

Maxime

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rampeur ,

Create the home and away tables as slicers,then create measures like below:

home or away = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Games List','Games List'[Home Team]=SELECTEDVALUE(Home[Home Team])&&'Games List'[Away Team]=SELECTEDVALUE(Away[Away Team]))))
either home or away = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Games List','Games List'[Home Team] in {SELECTEDVALUE(Home[Home Team]),SELECTEDVALUE(Away[Away Team])}&&'Games List'[Away Team]in {SELECTEDVALUE(Away[Away Team]),SELECTEDVALUE(Home[Home Team])})))

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for answering but this is not what I want.

How would you create a slicer (1 single one) with the list of countries and Then you get a bar chart with the top 5 of teams they play against.

so you filter on sweden, then you get 

France: 9
Brazil 6
Norway 5

for example.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You should first of all Unpivot your dataset so that all teams appear in a single column and another column (with the title of Attribute) specifies the type of team.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.