Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Zsivago

aggregates

I have a query that I want to make a simple chart for, count the number of items an employee has picked.  When I create the chart the "values" dropdown only lists "count".  I want to sum.  why do I not get the other value choices?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Zsivago I'll assume you are working with Power BI Desktop. 

What it sounds like you need is a measure created. We'll call it "Total_Items"

Right click your table in either the data or report view - > New Measure

In the field paste Total_Items:=SUM(<Tablename>[<FieldName>])

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

May the datatype is set to String. Set the data type to numeric type . ( Select the fied inthe field list and look for data type under Modelling ribbon tab)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Zsivago

Worked like a charm!

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

May the datatype is set to String. Set the data type to numeric type . ( Select the fied inthe field list and look for data type under Modelling ribbon tab)

where is the modelling tab to change from "string" to "numeric" 

@jewelry this is what you are looking for, in the header of the Data view in PBI desktop.

Capture1.jpg

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer thank you for your quick response. Is there an option to see the modelling tab in the web interface? 

@jewelry the modeling component of Power BI exists in the Desktop only.

@Eno1978 I just downloaded the desktop version and I signed into my account. I already had reports in the web interface version but am not seeing any of the reports in the desktop version. Is there a way to sync or import my existing reports from the web into the desktop version?

@jewelry ugh, unfortunetely not at this time. We're all hoping for some export ability soon. Currently, it is a one way street. You can only publish desktop files to the Service, there is no current way to pull down a report that was created in the Service back down to the Desktop...

@Zsivago I'll assume you are working with Power BI Desktop. 

What it sounds like you need is a measure created. We'll call it "Total_Items"

Right click your table in either the data or report view - > New Measure

In the field paste Total_Items:=SUM(<Tablename>[<FieldName>])

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.