Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Your file was published, but disconnected error can't be resolved

I've recently started getting the error "XXXXXX was disconnected from one or more data sources. To reconnect, go to dataset settings or ask the dataset owner for help." I'm the dataset owner; I have gone to settings and there are no issues that I can see. I haven't made any recent changes to the data sources or any other settings, just out of the blue I'm getting this error. There is only one report it's happening in.. I've done some searching online but the solutions I've found haven't worked for me (i.e. refreshing/re-entering credentials, clearing the cache and retrying). Also, the banner saying there are pending changes in my queries that haven't been applied will not go away. I click on the bar to apply changes, it apparently does then the banner pops right back up. I go into transform data, search though all tables without issue, refresh, then close and apply, and immediately after refreshing the banner pops up again. If I discard the changes, it indicates it's a problem with Privacy Levels. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has become extremely frustrating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've had some time to test this more, and I believe I found a solution. For some reason when I was republishing it was removing 'Maps To' selection in the Data Source Settings > Gateway and Cloud Connection. I noticed this after changing the data sources from cloud, so I'll need to undo that and recheck but for the interim is working. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
PunchBird
Helper V
Helper V

Hi all, I got this message as well, but for a Dataflow which shouldn't need a gateway. So first check if any of the data sources you are connected to needs a gateway. If not, then go to 'Manage connections and gateways', under the tab Connections. In my case there were  2 entries for one data connection which I use for some dataflows. I deleted the one connected to a gateway. Then I refreshed the report in Power BI Desktop and republished it. The message now no longer appears.

amartin141
Frequent Visitor

Similar to you, I have noticed the same issue when I attempt to mix Import and Direct Connect to existing datasets. Everything works fine on desktop, but upon publishing the report, pbi disconnects the Direct Connect connection and presents that error message.

However, If i start with a direct connect to an existing dataset (no local connections) and publish it, everything works.

If I then add a local table, the message 'A directquery connection is required' appears.  I accept the change, and add the local table and publish it - i then receive the 'file was published but disconnected' error. (desktop connection runs fine with items that i pull in from the direct connect).

I have checked permissions of all of the datasets that I want to link to, and all seems fine, but I am obviously missing something very important, as anytime I attempt to mix Import with Direct Connect i receive this message.

Note:  All of the workspaces are PRO only licensing.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mterry can you open transform data, go to project_dets table and refresh the preview and then close and apply and see if it works.

👉 Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤️

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

no - straight refresh did not fix the issue.  Note:  i am using Pro workspaces

Well I went in and deleted all the data sources, reconnected them using the path from my local machine rather than SharePoint, and still getting the same message?

Unfortunately that didn't work either. I think I'm going to try rebuilding it and see if that does the trick. I appreciate the assistance. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mterry can you change the privacy level (ignore) and then test it?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Ok I tried that, and the original error is gone, but now it says 1 query is blocked by the following error: Query 'project_dets' (step 'Filtered Rows') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

Would I be better off deleting these data sources and re-doing it? Seems like that may be less effort if it solves the issue?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mterry are you doing any sort of merging in PQ between two different data sources?

I've had some time to test this more, and I believe I found a solution. For some reason when I was republishing it was removing 'Maps To' selection in the Data Source Settings > Gateway and Cloud Connection. I noticed this after changing the data sources from cloud, so I'll need to undo that and recheck but for the interim is working. 

Well this morning that proved not to be the case. A test BI file I had published without error - when I republished this morning, then gave me the same error. 

mterry - let me know what your progress has been - i am having the same issues (see above) - i'll share if i reach any conclusions - thanks

Hey what worked for me was going into the data set setting in the service, and in the section for Gateway and Cloud connections the 'Maps to' drop down was getting reset to blank values, so I had to udpate that. I changed it there, saved, and that seemed to do the trick for me, at least for the time being. 

Interesting - mine is a straight data import into the pbix - no funny business with PQ either.  Interesting - i get the error message upon deployment, but everything works in the service just fine

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.