Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

YTD vs PriorYr=full year report toggle

Hello.   I am attempting to create financial statements using the matrix visual, and date slicer.    I do have measures in place that are generating the desired report calculations on a Full year basis.    However, my users are now wanting a report toggle allowing a selection of report interval.    PriorYr=Full Yr, or PriorYr=YTD.

Below is a layout of slicers, and matrix visual with year as column

ReportDateToggle.PNG

My initial thought was to design a calculatedtable with desired date intervals, and then use the calctable as a filter within calculate.    I have gone down the road of DateAdd, but that doesn't seem to work well in a matrix utilizing years as columns.  Then - I found the DatesBetween

BS1 YTD Test Cascading Report Value = 

Var ReportToggle = SELECTEDVALUE('Report Period'[Report Period],"Year to Date")

Var YTDMonth = month(SELECTEDVALUE('CALENDAR'[Date]))
Var YTDDay = DAY(SELECTEDVALUE('CALENDAR'[Date]))
vAR YTDYr = yEAR(SELECTEDVALUE('CALENDAR'[Date]))
Var calcDatetable =CALCULATETABLE('CALENDAR',DATESBETWEEN('CALENDAR'[Date],[MinDate],date(YTDYr,YTDMonth,YTDDay)))

I'm needing help in evaluating the proper dateinterval (calculatedtable) for use as a filter within a calculate function.  Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Dellis81 

You could refer to this blog:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamically-change-the-information-within-a-visual-v...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try With Date Function-

YTD QTY = TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date])
LYTD QTY = TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year))
Previous Year = CALCULATE(SUM('order'[Qty]), PREVIOUSYEAR('Date'[Date]))

YTD QTY forced=
var _max = today()
return
calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))

LYTD QTY forced=
var _max = date(year(today())-1,month(today()),day(today()))
return
CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

This Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1))

YTD QTY forced=
var _max = maxx('order',[Order date])
return
calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))

LYTD QTY forced=
var _max1 =maxx('order',[Order date])
var _max = date(year(_max1)-1,month(_max1),day(_max1))
return
CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you - my initial posting got sent prematurely.

I have gone down the trail you are suggesting with the LYTD or same Sameperiodlast year, but was finding my years were off by one within the matrix.   Am I missing something in how this might work?

I was really hoping to have a report toggle allowing hte selection of either time interval.   Apprecreate your thoughts!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is something missing?

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Shows both time intelligence and non-time intelligence ways of doing YTD, etc.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, sorry - initial post was sent prematurely - not knowing what I was doing?   Reviewing your measures, I believe the magic sauce is deducting 1 from the current year.   How would that work in a matrix with multiple years.?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hope the last update was for me

That depends on usage. I would have only shown Value and change % , if I would have taken a year in the column of matrix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.