Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Elliott
Advocate II
Advocate II

Working with Separate Columns for Date

Hello All,

Back to basics for me on this one! Smiley Frustrated

Using BI for a while now and have created plenty of reports, most of which I have been using SQL data, which appears to be very user friendly with the format when importing into BI.

However, I have been working with Excel sheets most recently and have come across the same issues with the majority of them.. I am sure there is a very simple solution to this as this is a very common format for spreadsheets, but just can't get my head round it!

Picture1.png

Above is the prime example of the type of data I am trying to bring into BI through Excel.

As the data is input into SQL line-by-line there is always an individual date stamp next to each record, compared to the Excel sheet which will only have 1 date, which is set at the column header, to cover any number of records input into the table.

This then makes it awkward when bringing the data into BI, for instance when attempting to import a slicer so that I can select my specified days. With the SQL data this would have been as straight forward as dropping the date column into the slicer, however, how can I achieve the same result with the format in which the example Excel sheet is set out? (multiple dates in their own columns)

Ultimately, what I am looking to achieve is a simple graph to show the 'fruit' as the X-axis and then filter by date (in this case, filter by a specified date column)

(As example below)

Picture2.png

Thank you in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

With your example, try unpivoting the date columns, like this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwoyElV0lEyNAASxgZKsTrRSv5FiXnpcEEjiGBAamIRhAcWBwk5JeYBIbJgLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"1/1/2016" = _t, #"2/1/2016" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"1/1/2016", Int64.Type}, {"2/1/2016", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"(blank)", "Fruit"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"Fruit"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

You should end up with a table like:

fruit.png 

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

You don't have to write the "M" code, just select your date columns (all of them) and right click and choose "Unpivot Columns"

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

With your example, try unpivoting the date columns, like this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwoyElV0lEyNAASxgZKsTrRSv5FiXnpcEEjiGBAamIRhAcWBwk5JeYBIbJgLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"1/1/2016" = _t, #"2/1/2016" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"1/1/2016", Int64.Type}, {"2/1/2016", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"(blank)", "Fruit"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"Fruit"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

You should end up with a table like:

fruit.png 

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

Perfect,

Easy when you know how! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks alot @Greg_Deckler

The example you have shown just there looks spot on.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on

Thanks for the quick response!

You don't have to write the "M" code, just select your date columns (all of them) and right click and choose "Unpivot Columns"

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.