Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maelfosso

What is the best way to give Power BI file to customers?

Hi,

I am building a set of appliances for helping some people in their different activities. 

On top of that, I am proposing them to see some analysis that i am building using Power BI.

I am wondering what is the best way to give the Power BI to the user so that he couldn't see either the tables/data imported into Power BI or the different formula, measure that are used in the different graph.

Knowing also that, at this stage, I don't have money to pay for Premium, the users will only access to the internet to upload the data into Power BI.

By hoping that the description of my problem is clear,

Can you indicate me how to solve that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EmanuelTavares
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @maelfosso .

To solve this, you can create a file containing the database connections and metrics formulas and publish it in a workspace (you can do it using a Pro account, maybe a free one).

It will create an online semantic model. 

Then, you can develop the client's dashboard connecting to this dataset instead of the database itself.

In this case, the client's dashboard will not show the tables (just the relation diagram) or the metrics' formulas.

Select a Power BI semantic model as data sourceSelect a Power BI semantic model as data sourceI selected the metric, but I can't see the formula. I don't have the option to see the data too.I selected the metric, but I can't see the formula. I don't have the option to see the data too.

You don't need to have a Premium account to do this.

IMPORTANT!

Since the client's dashboard is not connected to the original database, when you refresh its data, Power BI will read the data from the online semantic model, not from the original database.

To update the data, you need to update the semantic model and then update the dashboard.

Regards,

Emanuel

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
EmanuelTavares
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @maelfosso .

To solve this, you can create a file containing the database connections and metrics formulas and publish it in a workspace (you can do it using a Pro account, maybe a free one).

It will create an online semantic model. 

Then, you can develop the client's dashboard connecting to this dataset instead of the database itself.

In this case, the client's dashboard will not show the tables (just the relation diagram) or the metrics' formulas.

Select a Power BI semantic model as data sourceSelect a Power BI semantic model as data sourceI selected the metric, but I can't see the formula. I don't have the option to see the data too.I selected the metric, but I can't see the formula. I don't have the option to see the data too.

You don't need to have a Premium account to do this.

IMPORTANT!

Since the client's dashboard is not connected to the original database, when you refresh its data, Power BI will read the data from the online semantic model, not from the original database.

To update the data, you need to update the semantic model and then update the dashboard.

Regards,

Emanuel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.