Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

katto16
Helper I
Helper I

Weekly sum divide by number of days and visualize on a bar chart (repost)

katto16_0-1695275170214.png

This is a very simplified version of my table. The actual one has like 20+ columns. I want to add up the orders for the whole week, divide by the number of days and visualize it on the bar chart. So, for each date, the value will look like this. For 11 to 15 sept week, the total 510 divided by 5days is 84. All the days are weekdays, monday to friday.

katto16_1-1695275352585.png

The graph will look like this. The orders by date.

katto16_3-1695275374197.png

How shall I achieve this? 

thanks all.

2 REPLIES 2
vs_7
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @katto16 ,

Try out the below steps

To achieve the desired visualization of the weekly sum of orders divided by the number of days (assuming weekdays) on a bar chart in Power BI, you can follow these steps:

1. Data Preparation:

• Ensure you have a date column in your data. If not, create one based on the existing date values.
    • Create a calculated column to identify weekdays (Monday to Friday) using a formula. You can use the WEEKDAY function to achieve this. For example

• Weekday Flag = IF(AND(WEEKDAY([Date]) >= 2, WEEKDAY([Date]) <= 6), 1, 0)
    • Now you should have a column called Weekday Flag with 1 for weekdays (Monday to Friday) and 0 for weekends.
  • Data Modeling:

• In Power BI Desktop, create a new measure to calculate the weekly sum of orders divided by the number of weekdays. Use the following DAX formula:
    • Weekly Average Orders = DIVIDE(SUM(YourTable[Orders]), CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(YourTable), YourTable[Weekday Flag] = 1))
    • Replace YourTable with the name of your table and Orders with the name of your order column.
  • Create a Bar Chart:

• Add a bar chart visual to your report canvas.
    • In the Values section of the visual, drag and drop the Weekly Average Orders measure you created in step 2.
    • In the Axis section of the visual, drag and drop the Date column.
  • Customize Your Chart:

• Format your chart as desired, adding labels, titles, and adjusting the colors.
  • Interactions:

• Ensure that the bar chart is set up to interact with other visuals on your report canvas if needed.
  • Refresh Data:

• If your data is not automatically refreshing, make sure to refresh the data source to see the updated chart.

Hi @vs_7 thanks for the reply. I have a few issues with this. 

All my dates are weekdays so I do not need the flag. 

Each of the date may have multiple rows so I can't use countrow function when I divide the sum. So how should I identify each week?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.