Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NicolasLJ
Frequent Visitor

We couldn't fold the expresion to the data source (NO DAX)

Hi,

I created a direct query data set by connecting to a Postgresql database with an SQL statement :

NicolasLJ_1-1705268248328.png

There is no transformations :

NicolasLJ_2-1705268483470.png

I tried a simple visual with a table, all fields are working except one (Hours field) :

NicolasLJ_0-1705268201269.png

Any help ? 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
hi_world
Helper III
Helper III

Hello, 
Did you find a solution ?

I find the same error.
except that for my part, if I open my dataset with a PowerBI version of 2023 it works well.

NicolasLJ
Frequent Visitor

I already found your article, but in my case there is absolutly no Dax, no transformation and the source is a simple query. All columns from the result of my query works when I add them into a simple table visual except one, I really don't understand...

I just tested creating a view on the database side and not adding any queries or dax or any transformations, just a direct query on a simple view... same error. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NicolasLJ ,

You can do some pretty complex things in the Power Query Editor and in DAX and the error message above is the error you get when Power BI admits defeat and says it can’t translate a DAX query generated by a visual on a report into a query against your data source. 

More details: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Understanding The “We Couldn’t Fold The Expression To The Data Source” Error I...

PowerBI direct query connection to PostgreSQL error. OLE or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn...

OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn... - Page 3 - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.