Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dimani
Helper I
Helper I

Waterfall - can it do running total for different categories over monts?

Hello

We have SQL Server Analysis Service (SSAS) as our data source. 

We have this amount field that is a combination of the numbers from different category over a period of time. 

If we want to see the numbers for each category, each month, we can create a table/chart.

How about cumulatively for each category by month, like the one in section 6 in the following website?

7 Visualization Techniques with Waterfall Chart in Power BI (xviz.com)

Is that something we can do with the built-in Waterfall chart in Power BI?

At first, I thought how about we create a measure.  But how do we create one that would do it cumulatively for each category?  I found something someone suggested in this forum, but it ended up displaying the same original values.

Or perhaps it is not something easily done and that's why a thirty created that custom visual in the link above?

Thanks

D

2 REPLIES 2
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @Dimani,

You can create a cumulative Waterfall chart in Power BI using the built-in Waterfall chart visual. 

1. First create a table with the categories and dates you want to display. Use the "CALENDAR" function to create a table with all the dates you need.

2. Then, create another measure that calculates the total amount for each category up to the selected date. Use the "FILTER" function to sum the amounts for the selected category and all dates up to the selected date

Cumulative Amount = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE(Table2[Category]) && Table1[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE(Table2[Date])))

3. Add the Waterfall chart visual to your report and select the "Category" field for the "Category" axis and the "Date" field for the "Series" axis.

4. Add the "Cumulative Amount" measure to the "Values" section of the Waterfall chart visual.

If you need more advanced functionality or customization options, you may want to explore custom visuals or other chart types.

Let me know if you might need further assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Thanks for your detail information, Sahir Maharaj.

I think it is our data source, and we simply cannot add another table to the model.  Tried using the existing fields, but it did not return the results we want.  Will try some more and hopefully it works out without modifying the underlying structure.

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.