Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lawsonbe
Helper I
Helper I

Visual Filter on Two Tables Related to a Third Table

I am having difficulty getting my visuals to filter by either of two related tables. My relationships look like this.

RelationshipsRelationships

The problem stems from the fact that the survey I am basing the report on has multiple entries in two different columns. One is the role of the person responding. Responders could choose from many different roles and could choose more than one. Some people identified as both an Educator and a Parent. The other branch involves the themes that I identified for each survey response. Some responders had multiple themes such as Curriculum Adjustment and Teacher Voice.

I have tried several iterations of organizing the data thus far. One iteration involved creating measures for the original table that would count the number of rows that contained the word Educator. There were then seperate columns for each role. Another was to back up to the original file and create columns for each role.

I can now filter by the main table and by one of the two branches but not by both. I am tempted to just thow a filter into the report for roles and be done with it but I really wanted a pie chart that would filter visually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Did you tried changing the cross filter for relation to both direction and I think that will do it. Cross filter option is available on relationship screen.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Did you tried changing the cross filter for relation to both direction and I think that will do it. Cross filter option is available on relationship screen.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you! I still had to delete one relationship. While I was trying to fix the issue I put an additional table in with the one field I wanted as my central piece of information. That is probably superfluous. Once I changed the direction to "Both", everything worked.

Relationships Fixed.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.