Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JadenWelch
Frequent Visitor

Variance Reporting

I have a Power BI matrix where I have the field "Scenario" as my Columns, the field "Industry" as my Rows, and two Values, Revenue & Expense, which are both calculated metrics. However, I have enabled the feature to switch values to rows.

The "Scenario" field has 2 values: "Current Forecast" and "Current Budget".

Currently, the end result of the matrix visually looks like this: It has Two columns called Current Forecast & Current Budget. It lists all the industries as Rows, and under each industry, are two rows for Revenue and Delivery Expense related to that Industry.

I want to adjust my matrix to be able to visually have a third column showing Variance to Budget, where it subtracts the Scenario field from each other (Current Budget from the Current Forecast). I want to leave my existing values as rows.

My end result should visually look like this:

It has Three columns called Current Forecast & Current Budget & Variance to Budget. It lists all the industries as Rows, and under each industry, are two rows for Revenue and Delivery Expense related to that Industry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JadenWelch 

After my testing, the following methods can achieve the effect you want for your reference:

Create several measures as follow

CurrentBudget = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]), FILTER('Table', [Scenario] = "Current Budget"))
CurrentForecast = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]), FILTER('Table', [Scenario] = "Current Forecast"))
VB = [CurrentForecast] - [CurrentBudget]

Output:

vxuxinyimsft_0-1715247095263.png

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JadenWelch 

Could you please provide me with some sample data and output based on your sample data? That would be very helpful. Please remove any sensitive data in advance. Thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

@v-xuxinyi-msft 

Attached is a picture of sample data, along with what it currently looks like. I've also shown an image from excel of what I'm trying to get it to do. 

JadenWelch_1-1715091205358.png

JadenWelch_2-1715091230722.png

JadenWelch_3-1715091373330.png

Hi @JadenWelch 

After my testing, the following methods can achieve the effect you want for your reference:

Create several measures as follow

CurrentBudget = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]), FILTER('Table', [Scenario] = "Current Budget"))
CurrentForecast = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]), FILTER('Table', [Scenario] = "Current Forecast"))
VB = [CurrentForecast] - [CurrentBudget]

Output:

vxuxinyimsft_0-1715247095263.png

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.