Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Values in Slicer not refreshing with Data Refresh

I'm running a simple report that uses xls files in a sharepoint folder as source data. The user then is to filter the data by selecting which file to use from a slicer. The first couple weeks I was developing and testing the report, the values in the slicer were working fine. The data is loaded to the report manually. (When a new xls file was added to the folder, a data refresh in the PBIX would update the source data and the values in the slicer)

Recently, the slicer stopped updating values even though the source data shows the changes. Can someone tell me how to correct this? In the picture below, the source data is showing three test files. The slicer that points to this column is only showing two values. There are no other filters on this report.

jberanBCI_0-1666188575353.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I truly appreciate such a quick response. I did investigate the source data as you mentioned and realized a nuance on Power Query filters that I didn't know before.

To limit the sheer volume of data that this query will call as time goes on I filtered the xls file sources to only the files that had been modified in the last 30 days. At the report level in the PBIX filters have the option to "include today." That's not so in the Power Query. I then added a layer to the filter to catch the files where [modified] 'in the last' [30 days] OR [modified] 'is' [today].

This doesn't answer why the screengrab I showed included the file that was added/modified today whereas the slicer did not. But adding that OR statement to include [Today] solved the problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I truly appreciate such a quick response. I did investigate the source data as you mentioned and realized a nuance on Power Query filters that I didn't know before.

To limit the sheer volume of data that this query will call as time goes on I filtered the xls file sources to only the files that had been modified in the last 30 days. At the report level in the PBIX filters have the option to "include today." That's not so in the Power Query. I then added a layer to the filter to catch the files where [modified] 'in the last' [30 days] OR [modified] 'is' [today].

This doesn't answer why the screengrab I showed included the file that was added/modified today whereas the slicer did not. But adding that OR statement to include [Today] solved the problem.

v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You mentioned that your data source is the xls files in the sharepoint folder and the data source refresh was good before.

I think in the case of guaranteeing that there is no problem with the refresh, you need to check the table of the data source whether there is a pivot table, if there is, you can try to clean up the cache of the pivot table.

PivotTable options, in data, change the Number of items... from Automatic on None, and refresh.

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.