Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CPaceFOTL
Frequent Visitor

Using Variables in Oracle DirectQuery SQL Statements

I have read several other post and even blogs on using parameters and variables inside of an SQL statements and have been playing for a couple of days now trying to get it to work.  After several interations, I finally got a "successful" execution; however, it did not bring back any data as the variable did not match the data.  The only way I could get it pass both syntax and Oracle submission was to make the value a text field; however, I am needed to do DateTime values within my SQL.

What I would like is have the "FromDate" and "ToDate" that can be used on the where .... between clause in the Oracle to_date statement to supply the dates.  I would also like to be able to do this with the ability for the users to supply the parameters via the Power BI Online Service or parameters passed via the report URL lauch.

Please note that I have used parameters and a template to do filter and that works great; however, it does not work with Online Services and is not support with DirectQuery.  I have also used parameters feed from an excel spreadsheet and that works great; howevever, you can not use DirectQuery this way either.

Please find the direct query below and I would like to replace the first field of the to_date sections of the code with the variables/parameters and use witih DirectQuery and Online Services.  Any help would get greatly appreciated.

let
Source = Oracle.Database("proderp.colo", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, Query="select EDIPRHEADER.creation_date as ""TRANS DATE""#(lf),(select account_name from apps.hz_cust_accounts_all EDIHCA where EDIHCA.attribute4=EDIPRHEADER.TRADINGPARTNERID) as ""ACCOUNT""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.PURCHASEORDERNUMBER as ""CPO NUM""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.CONTRACTNUMBER as ""ORDER RELEASE""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.DEPARTMENT as ""DEPT""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.PROMOTIONDEALNUMBER as ""PROMO DEAL""#(lf),(select sum(orderqty) from apps.XXSP_PO_IN_LINE EDIPOL where EDIPRHEADER.ORIG_SYS_DOCUMENT_REF = EDIPOL.ORIG_SYS_DOCUMENT_REF) as ""TOTAL UNITS""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.creation_date as ""ISA DATE""#(lf),EDIPRHEADER.creation_date as ""ISA TIME""#(lf)from apps.XXSP_PO_IN_HEADER EDIPRHEADER#(lf)where EDIPRHEADER.creation_date between to_date('07/20/2017 00:00:00', 'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss') and to_date('07/20/2017 11:00:00', 'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss')#(lf)order by EDIPRHEADER.creation_date desc"])
in
Source

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CPaceFOTL,

Current parameter query only available on desktop, it not works on service side.

In addition, direct query support query parameter, since the query option use string format, so you can only defind these parameters as text and use t-sql functions to convert these parameters to specify type.

2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CPaceFOTL,

Current parameter query only available on desktop, it not works on service side.

In addition, direct query support query parameter, since the query option use string format, so you can only defind these parameters as text and use t-sql functions to convert these parameters to specify type.

2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft.  I am not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I had tried that before or thought I did last week, and it was not working.  Tried it again this morning and it is working without issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.