Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dikshabahal
Frequent Visitor

Using Scatter chart or Line chart

Hi Team

I have a requirement to use scatter chart or line chart with marker where we have two columns one is date column and another is values with no aggragation function. wr have to show values points date wise on chart with different legend colors. Two limitations I am facing :

1. In line chart can'nt able to use no aggregated value on Y axis its always asking to use aggregated value only. That's why to fix I am using max on y axis and putting values on legend to fix. But I can'nt able t use field that I want to use as a legend.

2. If I am using scatter plot it is not accepting date on x axis. Asking both x - axis and y axis should be numetical.

2 REPLIES 2
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

To address your requirements using either a Scatter Chart or Line Chart with marker points, you can follow these steps in Power BI:

**Option 1: Scatter Chart**

1. **Create a Scatter Chart**:
- In Power BI Desktop, create a new Scatter Chart visual.

2. **Data Preparation**:
- In the "Values" section of the visual:
- Place your date column in the "X-axis" section.
- Place your values column (e.g., "Values") in the "Y-axis" section.

3. **Add a Legend**:
- To differentiate data points by different categories or legends, you can create a new calculated column in your data or use an existing column that represents the categories.
- Place this calculated column in the "Legend" section of the visual.

4. **Formatting**:
- Customize your Scatter Chart as needed, such as adjusting marker colors, shapes, sizes, and axis labels.

5. **Date as Numerical**:
- To use a date on the X-axis of a Scatter Chart, you might need to convert your date values to numerical values. You can do this by creating a calculated column that represents the date as a numerical value (e.g., days since a certain reference date).

**Option 2: Line Chart with Marker Points**

1. **Create a Line Chart with Marker Points**:
- In Power BI Desktop, create a new Line Chart visual.

2. **Data Preparation**:
- In the "Axis" section of the visual:
- Place your date column in the "Axis" section (X-axis).
- In the "Values" section of the visual:
- Place your values column (e.g., "Values") in the "Values" section (Y-axis).
- Place the category column that you want to use as the legend in the "Legend" section.

3. **Formatting**:
- Customize your Line Chart with Marker Points as needed, such as adjusting line styles, marker colors, shapes, and sizes.

4. **Date as Numerical**:
- As with the Scatter Chart, you may need to convert your date values to numerical values to use them on the X-axis of a Line Chart.

To summarize, you can use a Scatter Chart with a legend for different categories or a Line Chart with marker points and a legend. In both cases, you might need to convert your date values to numerical values to use them on the X-axis. The legend should help differentiate data points by category or legend colors.

Hi @123abc Thank You soo much for responed. But in line chart on y axis we can't put direct column it should be aggregated in nature. And I don't need aggregated value on y axis. Example : Date should be x axis and values on y axis and on legend Analyte Name. We have to show same values as a points on chart.

DateAnalyte NameValue
30-08-2017Al0.99
30-08-2017Al7
30-08-2017B3
30-08-2017B18
30-08-2017B21
30-08-2017B24
30-08-2017Ca25
30-08-2017Ca169
30-08-2017Ca3078
30-08-2017Cr0.99
30-08-2017Cr4
30-08-2017Cu0.99
30-08-2017Cu2
30-08-2017Fe6
30-08-2017Fe19
30-08-2017Fe47
30-08-2017Fe71

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.