Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

E1555
Frequent Visitor

Using On-Prem AD for PBI Groups

Is it possible to use an on-premise active group to create/manage groups within Power BI?  From the existing documentation, it sounds like the Azure Active directory is what is connected to the tool, but this can't talk to anything outside of Power BI; if I'm interpreting similar post replies correctly, this is a piece of functionality that is not yet available but eventually will be.

I'm a newbie to Power BI and trying to figure out how we can utilize groups, especially if there is a way to limit the users that can be physically selected into a group when one is created within Power BI, since there are many members within the Azure Active Directory that should never be included any Power BI group we would create.

4 REPLIES 4
misham_gvcplc
Regular Visitor

joining the question.

@E1555 did you find any way to use on-prem Active Directory Groups?

Br,

Misha.

It turns out the active directory we have is synched, but not fully synched like I had thought.  Moreover, my real misunderstanding was thinking I could create a group/workspace and then reference a pre-existing A/D security group from the Service, but this is not the case.  Instead, I had to create new groups from within the Service and manage those manually, which is what I was trying to avoid.

It isn't currently available but it is in the works.

Kris

Any update here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.