Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KP-PowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Userelationship does not return correct value in measure

Hi I have the below (simplified)

Weighting Table

uID

Weighting

Data Table

uID_ALL

uID_ALL_Aged

Weight (taken from weighting table using RELATED function)

I have two relationships between the two, one active and one inactive.

Active = uID - uID_ALL

InActive = uID - uID_ALL_Aged

I am trying to create a measure on the inactive relationship (should give me a different weight value) using the code below

ScoreAgedWeighted = CALCULATE([ScoreAged] * AVERAGE('Data Table'[Weight]), USERELATIONSHIP('Data Table'[uID_ALL_Aged], 'Weighting Table'[uID]))

This does not work. It returns the value of the active relationship.

If I manually swap over the relationships in 'Manage Relationships' so that uID_ALL_Aged is the active one the formula above uses the correct weight value.

Hope all that makes sense, any ideas on whats wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

looks like the related function with use relationships might not actually work

see this article.    the suggestion is to use lookupvalue instead.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/userelationship-in-calculated-columns/

Applying USERELATIONSHIP to RELATED

If one creates a calculated column in FactInternetSales, one might want to use RELATED choosing the relationship to use. Unfortunately, this is not possible. For example, in order to denormalize the day name of week of the order date, one writes:

FactInternetSales[DayOrder] =
RELATED ( DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek] )

But what if the user wants to obtain the day name of week of the due date? They cannot use CALCULATE and RELATEDtogether, so they have to use this syntax instead:

FactInternetSales[DayDue] =
CALCULATE (
    CALCULATE (
        VALUES ( DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek] ),
        FactInternetSales
    ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( DimDate[DateKey], FactInternetSales[DueDateKey] ),
    ALL ( DimDate )
)

Two CALCULATE are required in this case: the outermost CALCULATE applies the USERELATIONSHIP to the innermost CALCULATE, and the ALL ( DimDate ) filter removes the existing filter that would be generated by the context transition. The innermost CALCULATE applies FactInternetSales to the filter condition. Thanks to the active USERELATIONSHIP, its filter propagates to the lookup DimDate table using the DueDateKey relationship instead of the OrderDateKey relationship. The result is visible in the following screenshot.

ResultRelated

Though this syntax works, it is strongly advised not to use it. Indeed, it is hard to understand and it is easy to write incorrect DAX code here. A better approach is using LOOKUPVALUE instead, which does not require the relationship at all.

LOOKUPVALUE (
    DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek],
    DimDate[DateKey],
    FactInternetSales[DueDateKey]
)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KP-PowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Here are the relationshipsuserelationship.png

looks like the related function with use relationships might not actually work

see this article.    the suggestion is to use lookupvalue instead.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/userelationship-in-calculated-columns/

Applying USERELATIONSHIP to RELATED

If one creates a calculated column in FactInternetSales, one might want to use RELATED choosing the relationship to use. Unfortunately, this is not possible. For example, in order to denormalize the day name of week of the order date, one writes:

FactInternetSales[DayOrder] =
RELATED ( DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek] )

But what if the user wants to obtain the day name of week of the due date? They cannot use CALCULATE and RELATEDtogether, so they have to use this syntax instead:

CALCULATE (
    CALCULATE (
        VALUES ( DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek] ),
        FactInternetSales
    ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( DimDate[DateKey], FactInternetSales[DueDateKey] ),
    ALL ( DimDate )
)

Two CALCULATE are required in this case: the outermost CALCULATE applies the USERELATIONSHIP to the innermost CALCULATE, and the ALL ( DimDate ) filter removes the existing filter that would be generated by the context transition. The innermost CALCULATE applies FactInternetSales to the filter condition. Thanks to the active USERELATIONSHIP, its filter propagates to the lookup DimDate table using the DueDateKey relationship instead of the OrderDateKey relationship. The result is visible in the following screenshot.

ResultRelated

Though this syntax works, it is strongly advised not to use it. Indeed, it is hard to understand and it is easy to write incorrect DAX code here. A better approach is using LOOKUPVALUE instead, which does not require the relationship at all.

LOOKUPVALUE (
    DimDate[EnglishDayNameOfWeek],
    DimDate[DateKey],
    FactInternetSales[DueDateKey]
)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Thanks for the info.

So i removed the relationship between the weighting table and the data table (just in case there is some confusion in how i retrieved the weight values) and then created two columns in the data table with LOOKUPVALUE function:

Weight

Weight = LOOKUPVALUE('Weightings Table'[Weighting],'Weightings Table'[uID],'Data Table'[uID_ALL])

WeightAged

WeightAged = LOOKUPVALUE('Weightings Table'[Weighting],'Weightings Table'[uID],'Data Table'[uID_ALL_Aged])

I then used the appropriate column for the measures e.g.

ScoreAgedWeighted = [ScoreAged] * AVERAGE('Data Table'[WeightAged])

All good now thanks.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@KP-PowerBI  can you show a screenshot of your relationships with the table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.