Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NJ81858
Helper IV
Helper IV

User Entered Value Across All Pages

Hello,

I have a report that is contingent on users entering in a value for all of my calculations. What is the best way to achieve this? It has to span multiple pages and I would prefer the user to only enter this once, as this value cannot be visible in the final report. 

I have tried to create a What-If Parameter and added slicers to all pages and sync the slicer up across pages, but that has not worked for me. Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
pratyashasamal
Super User
Super User

Hi @NJ81858 ,
What if Parameter is way that you can achive this.
You can refer to these link :-
https://ramvudugula9.medium.com/creating-user-input-variables-in-a-power-bi-report-9275b8b9f78d

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-what-if

You can sync the what if parameter for every page . In Power BI Desktop you can synchronize slicers across multiple report pages. To synchronize slicers, in the View pane in the ribbon, select Sync slicers. When you synchronize slicers, the Sync Slicers pane appears, as shown in the following image.
Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.
If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos C

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@pratyashasamal When I create my What-If Parameter, I also create a measure to combine all of them, as my final value will always be bigger than 100,000, and doing this in intervals of 1 causes problems for my data.

I created 7 different What-If Parameters all with ranges from 0 to 9, so I am covered in any value from 0 to 9,999,999, and then my measure to combine them is:

Final Value = FORMAT((SELECTEDVALUE('Million'[Million])*1000000) +
(SELECTEDVALUE('Hundred Thousands'[Hundred Thousands])*100000) +
(SELECTEDVALUE('Ten Thousands'[Ten Thousands])*10000) +(SELECTEDVALUE('Thousands'[Thousands])*1000) +
(SELECTEDVALUE('Hundreds'[Hundreds])*100) + 
(SELECTEDVALUE('Tens'[Tens])*10) + 
(SELECTEDVALUE('Ones'[Ones])), "Currency")

This measure is being invoked on Calculated Columns, and even when I copy my slicers to the report pages, it gives me the following error even though the measure works on the given page:

NJ81858_0-1686315615383.png

Hi @NJ81858 ,
Try to check if all the what if Parameter are having the correct data type i.e. Numeric data type.
Looks like issue is due to this.
Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.

@pratyashasamal  The value is currently a number, but it still gives me that error that it is text:

NJ81858_0-1686317289741.png

Hi @NJ81858 ,
This issue probably because you have empty strings there, you can check for the blanks or empty strings first .
You can use ISBLANK() for this.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/isblank-function-dax

Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal

@pratyashasamal After doing more research, I am unable to use What-If parameters for my solution, as Calculated Columns don't support the use of What-If parameters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.