Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

madison13g

Use Gradient AND Rules in Conditional Formatting

I am trying colour the background of my table using a gradient but based on one condition before assigning the maximum value of the gradient.

Is there any way to use both rules and gradient in the same background colour formatting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@madison13g I am glad to help you.
According to your description, you want to change the Description of the records within the last one year to another color in order to highlight them?
Currently, Power BI allows either gradient-based formatting or rule-based formatting to be applied to the background color of table cells, but not both in the same field. Gradient-based formatting automatically applies a color scale based on the minimum and maximum values of the data or custom values that you define. On the other hand, rule-based formatting allows you to set specific colors based on predefined conditions or rules.
However, you can simulate the effect of a gradient background by creating a measure that returns a variety of results and displays approximate background colors based on the results.
If you think this is possible, you can take a look at my solution.
Here is the test data I created.

vjtianmsft_0-1714445049622.png

I have created a table of dates and now I am calculating the number of days between the dates in the table and the current time by creating a measure.
Multiple results are created in this measure.

vjtianmsft_1-1714445073958.png

Here is the DAX code.

MEASURE =
VAR tableDate =
    MIN ( 'YourTable'[t_Date] )
VAR nowData =
    TODAY ()
VAR differ =
    DATEDIFF ( nowData, tableDate, DAY )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        -30 <= differ
            && differ <= 30, "red",
        30 < differ
            && differ <= 60, "red-orange",
        60 < differ
            && differ <= 183, "orange",
        183 < differ
            && differ <= 365, "yellow",
        differ > 365, "green",
        ""
    )

vjtianmsft_2-1714445142017.png

Manually simulate a color gradient by setting several colors of the gradient from the multiple results returned by measure.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,
Carson Jian,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@madison13g I am glad to help you.
According to your description, you want to change the Description of the records within the last one year to another color in order to highlight them?
Currently, Power BI allows either gradient-based formatting or rule-based formatting to be applied to the background color of table cells, but not both in the same field. Gradient-based formatting automatically applies a color scale based on the minimum and maximum values of the data or custom values that you define. On the other hand, rule-based formatting allows you to set specific colors based on predefined conditions or rules.
However, you can simulate the effect of a gradient background by creating a measure that returns a variety of results and displays approximate background colors based on the results.
If you think this is possible, you can take a look at my solution.
Here is the test data I created.

vjtianmsft_0-1714445049622.png

I have created a table of dates and now I am calculating the number of days between the dates in the table and the current time by creating a measure.
Multiple results are created in this measure.

vjtianmsft_1-1714445073958.png

Here is the DAX code.

MEASURE =
VAR tableDate =
    MIN ( 'YourTable'[t_Date] )
VAR nowData =
    TODAY ()
VAR differ =
    DATEDIFF ( nowData, tableDate, DAY )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        -30 <= differ
            && differ <= 30, "red",
        30 < differ
            && differ <= 60, "red-orange",
        60 < differ
            && differ <= 183, "orange",
        183 < differ
            && differ <= 365, "yellow",
        differ > 365, "green",
        ""
    )

vjtianmsft_2-1714445142017.png

Manually simulate a color gradient by setting several colors of the gradient from the multiple results returned by measure.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,
Carson Jian,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.