Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rdbjay

Urgent -Connecting to excel saved on a remote desktop server

Hi I'm a newbie to here,

I do have a Power Bi data model which has data connected through API to SQL data tables stored in a remote desktop server. At the moment I've set up an on-premises gateway on the server and all my APIs are perfectly refreshing through it. 

Now, I need to add a new data source which is an Excel sheet stored in a folder on the Remote desktop server. How do I set up this? I need to add the table in Excel to my existing Power Bi data model which all other data tables are connected through APIs.

I'm developing this data model on my local computer's Power Bi desktop. So obviously I can't simply open the Get Data>Excel and give the file path as the Excel file is not saved on my local drive. Due to security reasons storing files on one drive or file share is not an option at the moment.

Please help me experts!

6 REPLIES 6
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To add an Excel sheet stored on a remote desktop server to your existing Power BI data model, you can follow these steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop and go to "Home" tab.

2. Click on "Get Data" and then select "More".

3. Choose "File" under the "Other" section and click on "Connect".

4. In the "File Path" field, enter the network path to the Excel file on the remote desktop server. For example, \ServerName\SharedFolderName\FileName.xlsx.

5. Click on "OK" to load the Excel data into Power BI Desktop.

6. Now, you need to merge the Excel data with your existing data model. You can do this by going to "Home" tab, selecting "Combine Queries" and then choosing "Merge Queries".

7. In the "Merge Queries" dialog box, select your existing data model as the first table and the Excel data as the second table.

8. Choose the common field between the two tables and click on "OK" to merge them.

9. Once the data is merged, you can use it in your existing reports.

Note that in order to access the Excel file on the remote desktop server, you will need to have appropriate permissions to the network share where the file is stored.

got a similar suggestion from chat GPT, but surprisingly there's no "file" selection on the menu.

rdbjay_0-1683623871978.png

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

@rdbjay ,

You could put it on a onedrive, in this way you could connect to it from your pc.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

As per the server admin storing it in one drive is not allowed. Also on my powerbi desktop Onedrive is not showing. is there any other way to connect with this file?

rdbjay_0-1683623408631.png

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @rdbjay ,

If this excel sheet won't be changing or getting new reacords more often, then you could copy the data in it and create a table in power bi and paste them in there.

Idrissshatila_0-1683622408428.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Forgot to mention, this excel sheet holds current transaction records which update frequently. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.