Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emilylime
Frequent Visitor

Upgraded Desktop to Feb version; won't open and throws error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)

I haven't been able to open my Power BI Desktop since I upgraded to the latest upgrade, Feb 2017. When I click "send frown" on the error message, it freezes there and I have to force it closed via Task Manager. I've tried submitting a support ticket several times on the site and it says "Error submitting request. Try again shortly." Google searches also fruitless. So now I'm here looking for help.

Here is my error message, copied in entirety:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2017-02-14T15:55:23.5676092Z

Local Time:
2017-02-14T09:55:23.5676092-06:00

Product Version:
2.43.4647.541 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Release:
February, 2017

IE Version:

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.6.1 or later [Release Number = 394271]

Workbook Package Info:
None

Peak Working Set:
158 MB

Private Memory:
137 MB

Peak Virtual Memory:
3.18 GB

Error Message:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)

Error Code:
-2147023838 (0x80070422)

Stack Trace:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070422): The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)
   at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()
   at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Telemetry.PowerBITelemetryManager.GetProcessorInfo()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

User ID:
f7bf7c48-0b7c-475c-8646-88867d2ee7ae

Session ID:
52678f67-a9b4-40d7-8969-7e6ca0c70dab

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

I Have done my Windows update then uninstall & Re-install the latest Feb release version of PBI Desktop. It is working fine now.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

I Have done my Windows update then uninstall & Re-install the latest Feb release version of PBI Desktop. It is working fine now.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@emilylime

Have you got your issue solved after apply the windows update?

Best Regards,

Herbert

aguenena
Frequent Visitor

Is Feb version working after applying Windows update? or Jan version?

Feburary version.  January version always worked.  To be clear I had to force windows updates instead of waiting for my company's update team to release all of the updates.  Sometimes companies are slower than Microsoft at releasing the updates company wide because they go through internal testing first.

Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, it is working for me as well... Issue got resolved.. I just uninstall & reinstalled the latest power BI desktop s/w...

emilylime
Frequent Visitor

Interesting. I'm the only person at work for whom this is an issue right now, so maybe my computer is missing an update. Thank you for providing your solution.

travisstaker
Frequent Visitor

I got it to work for me.  The group that does the patching at my company was holding back some of the windows updates.  I applied all of the patches including the latest sql server cu's.

travisstaker
Frequent Visitor

I also have this same exact issue as Described.  Jan 2017 works fine.  I guess I'll open a support request.

Rajkumar
Helper I
Helper I

Hi I'm alos facing the same problem with Feb version updated desktop application.

Can you please send me feb version Power BI Desktop file.

emilylime
Frequent Visitor

I uninstalled the Feb version and reinstalled the Jan version you provided and the January edition is working...

emilylime
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Feb version, with the same error result.

When I try to "send frown" on the error box, it freezes and crashes. So I don't think my "frowns" actually went anywhere.

I have tried a few times to send a support ticket, and it always sends "Error submitting request. Please try again shortly." This is after my most recent attempt, a few minutes ago.

ticket error.png

I will check on that Windows Update thing, as well as try to revert to the January version.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@emilylime

Did you submit the support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page)? Since it seems to be machine specific, the best way is to create a support ticket.

You can also try to uninstall the Power BI Desktop completely and then reinstall the Feb 2017 version to see if it works. BTW, you can check you Windows Update service and start it if it is not running because Exception 0x80070422 may be related to it.

You can also try with the Jan 2017 version to see if it still works.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.